Tuner for the EDGE?

renaug007

SCT makes xcal3 for the Edge, I think its on there website and also I think steeda sells it for $399

I'm a little new to the aftermarket world so can someone explain to me how these tuners work? I don't understand why the auto manufacturers don't just tune them for more power and better mileage at the factory.

I'm a little new to the aftermarket world so can someone explain to me how these tuners work? I don't understand why the auto manufacturers don't just tune them for more power and better mileage at the factory.

I used to subscribe to a truck magazine. An article I read about engine mods stated that many of them do improve performance. However, they also make the engine work harder & will likely shorten its life.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put a tune in my Edge from Evolution Performance. It is the SCT Xcal and has 3 tunes in it. Pretty easy to install . It is a "plug and play" Presently I have the 93 performance tune and it does make a difference in power! If interested call Evolution Performance and ask for Fred. tell him Badgirl sent ya!

Evolution Performance

The tuner alters things like air/fuel ratio, transmission shift points, and can recalibrate your speedo to accommodate other-than-stock size wheels and tires amongst other things (check their website for a full list of options). By altering your a/f ratio, you can squeeze a lot more power out of your engine depending on the fuel octane level you are using. Most tuners (which are vehicle-model specific) come with 3 tunes, one for 87 octane, one for 89/91 octane and one for 93 octane. Basically the tuner allows the vehicles on-board computer to utilize the fuel in a way which provides more horsepower.

Manufacturers do not tune them like that from the factory for a couple of reasons. Most notably is environmental standards. Auto-makers must produce vehicles which meet strict emissions and environmental standards as they produce vehicles in large quantities. While tuning your car makes about .00000000000001% difference to the environment, tuning 50,000 (or however many Edge's Ford made this year) vehicles the same way can have a more dramatic effect on the environment. Also, the factory tune is one which, after much research, will fit a vast majority of driving styles and provide the best fuel efficiency, engine life, and drive-ability for the masses.

As far as engine wear goes, I would not worry too much about that after tuning unless you redline the Edge everytime you drive it just because you like the sound it makes. SCT has been in the tuning business for some time, and makes a tuner for just about every type of enthusiast vehicle. If their product caused engines to fail, they would not be in business. (If someone doubts that reasoning, please provide data to back it up, I have been known to be wrong from time to time.... ;)

While tuners, out of the box will make a noticeable difference in power and fun, the best thing to do is take your tuner to a reputable performance shop and have them dyno-tune your vehicle. This provides a tune which suits your individual vehicle the best and they can store that tune and up to 2 others (usually) on the SCT device. The generic tunes bundled with SCT devices will make a world of difference to your vehicle, however, every vehicle is different and they wont be able to reach the full potential of a tune unless dyno-tuned.

I would not get overly worked up over dyno-tuning for the average driver, however. You will most likely be more than happy with the results of any bundled tune on the SCT device.

Hope that answers some questions :shades:

Edited by F4iMerlin

Here is one article on tuning that suggests that if the engine is stock, the factory setting is the best overall.

Tune Into This - Engine Tuning 101

AFR, MAP, IAT... Confused? Not Anymore

all contributors: Ryan McKay

Good tuning is the key to unlocking the potential of any engine. OE manufacturers spend ungodly amounts of time, money and research fine-tuning engines to run as efficiently as possible at all times, under any conceivable operational conditions. Simply put, if your engine is stock, it's unlikely you can get a better overall tune than the one it came with. Make a few changes though and things can change rather quickly.

An internal combustion engine is basically like a big air pump. As it comes equipped from the factory, it will flow a set amount of air based on things like engine speed, load, etc and is tuned accordingly. When changes are made to the things that regulate the amount of air that gets into an engine (cams, header, intake, forced-induction, etc.), changes need to be made to the engine management to compensate. This entails adjusting fuel and/or ignition timing, at minimum if the engine's potential is to be realized.

Basically, when airflow is increased, fuel delivery must be increased accordingly. The goal is to get the fuel and the air into the engine in the correct ratios. But don't be fooled into thinking that tweaking the air/fuel ratio (AFR) is the only thing that needs to be addressed when making serious changes--it's not that simple.

Getting more air and fuel into the engine means that there is a bigger explosion happing, which means higher temps and pressures in the combustion chamber, which can dramatically increase the chance of detonation and engine damage. As such, ignition timing often must be adjusted as well.

While comprehensive tuning involves more than just tuning the fuel delivery and ignition timing, they are 90 percent of the equation. Also, if these two things are in order and set conservatively, chances of engine survival are good.

Just like everything in life, tuning is about compromises. The key to getting the best tune is to balance maximum power and engine safety, without running the car on the threshold of destruction. Twenty years ago, tuners relied primarily on their eyes, ears, noses and timeslips to tune, which required years of experience. Today, thanks to modern fuel injection systems, we have a mess of sensors under the hood, which makes things a lot easier.

- Check out the following pages for more engine tuning info!