Obscure question about trailer wiring

gwbmcse

I have a 2020 Edge ST with the OEM tow package and I'm getting tired of the flimsy wiring connector that pushes in and pulls out of the flimsy metal bracket every time I hook up my trailer. Because of wear and some grit, I now have to get on my knees in order to hold the connector in place to put the trailer connector on or take it off and I'm hoping there is a better way. 

Knowing this vehicle, I'm sure Ford has some complicated and expensive connection to the blinkers and brake signals so I am looking for something I can mount thats more sturdy that will just plug into the existing female connector. I wouldnt have an issue splicing wires and removing just the connector head if I was sure that it would mess with anything Ford has going on but would rathe just have a passthrough. Even better, I would love to adapt it to something other than that 4 pin connector assuming I can get the corresponding adapter for the trailer 4 pin male cable. Something with a larger plug that turns and locks would seem to be more sensible but I know little about trailer connectors.

I have done a quick search but cant seem to find any such pass through device.

Any and all help is appreciated. 

Edited by gwbmcse