Rear-end Question

jlas11

I have a 2008 Ford Edge Limited and I was rear-ended this morning. It was just a slight impact at a low rate of speed (less than 10mph) and the only visible damage is to the hitch cover that I had on the vehicle.

My question -- the rear-door still operates, the back-up sensors are working -- is there anything else I should be looking at before accepting that everything is fine and that there is no long-term damage done by the impact?

Appreciate any and all responses.

I have a 2008 Ford Edge Limited and I was rear-ended this morning. It was just a slight impact at a low rate of speed (less than 10mph) and the only visible damage is to the hitch cover that I had on the vehicle.

My question -- the rear-door still operates, the back-up sensors are working -- is there anything else I should be looking at before accepting that everything is fine and that there is no long-term damage done by the impact?

Appreciate any and all responses.

Hi jlas. :D It is entirely possible that there was no damage, or there may be damage to the structural bumper components underneath. Hard for a non-professional to tell.

So, my best advice? Take it to a quality body/collision repair shop, tell them what occurred and let them examine your car. They are the experts and will know exactly what to look for. And estimates are free.

If you do not have a body/collision repair shop you can trust, then call your Insurance Company and ask for a recommendation in your area.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi jlas. :D It is entirely possible that there was no damage, or there may be damage to the structural bumper components underneath. Hard for a non-professional to tell.

So, my best advice? Take it to a quality body/collision repair shop, tell them what occurred and let them examine your car. They are the experts and will know exactly what to look for. And estimates are free.

If you do not have a body/collision repair shop you can trust, then call your Insurance Company and ask for a recommendation in your area.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I agree. Modern vehicles have styrofoam 'pads' built inside of the bumper covers. The foam can be compressed or otherwise damaged in a collision. A number of years ago my old Miata was rearended. I replaced the bumper cover myself. When I installed the part it was very apparent that the underlying foam was damaged as well. I replaced both parts.