Shifting into OD

TeeRex

I have a 2008 Edge and usually do the normal 30 second warm up. It seems to take a few miles for the tranny to shift into 6th. I usually drive for approx 1 mile at 40mph and then enter the highway and get up to 55mph. After entering the highway and up to speed it will still take over 2 miles. I know that the transmission is still cold and it never does this when fully warmed up.

This is with an outside temp of 20-25F.

Is this considered normal.

Edited by TeeRex

On my morning commute, I only have about a 1/2 mile drive to get on the freeway. Once there, the transmission shifts up as it should to OD. At this point, the tach is reading 2000 RPM's. It stays there for a several minutes and then drops down to about 1600, BUT it doesn't shift to do this. It's my assumption that this is done electronically, as part of the warm up. I'm wondering if this is what you are experiencing.

On my morning commute, I only have about a 1/2 mile drive to get on the freeway. Once there, the transmission shifts up as it should to OD. At this point, the tach is reading 2000 RPM's. It stays there for a several minutes and then drops down to about 1600, BUT it doesn't shift to do this. It's my assumption that this is done electronically, as part of the warm up. I'm wondering if this is what you are experiencing.

I am pretty sure that this is not part of the warm up that I am aware of.

I too am at about 2000rpm but I think it is only in 5th gear until it drops down to 1600.

This is probably considered normal for a cold transmission but my 6 speed Fusion shifts into top gear much sooner.

I did a little test today. While it was still at 2000 rpm, I turned OD off and it down shifted. I would think that indicates it was in 6th.

"..it down shifted.."

Maybe...or maybe not.

You may have just simply released the lock-up clutch.

In the name of improved FE the "OD" lockup clutch is now being used in gear ratios below the actual OD gear ratios. In addition to that some of the new 6(9) speeds, when coupled with a "strong" V6, have 2 OD gear ratios.

Edited by wwest