Edge Accelerator problem

Hank

I have a 2010 Edge. Nice car with the exception of two problems. the first problem is: Upon a "part throttle " accereration between 35 and 55 MPH, the vehicle hesitates. When you are driving on the freeway and want to accererate a little or if you are driving in a hilly area in which you dont want to floor the pedal, and you just want to give it a little gas there is very little reaction. I even stepped on the gas one time and nothing happened. It just fell flat. I have had the car for in the shop for this this same problem 3 times in 2200 miles. The service manager will tell me on the side that his car does the same thing and thet this problem is inherent with the Edge. One service manager has even said that his Edge does it too but he can live with it and Ford has not issued a remedy regrading this problem and until they do, I am going to have to keep putting up with this until and if Ford issues a repair bulletin. This is not a problem that I want to live with for the dursation of my ownership of the car. The other problem is that the A/C is not that good. Ford has checked the tempurature at the vent and they said that it was 60 degrees. Well it very well might be but it has very low velocity. You can leave the A/C on full blast and it would blow you away like mopst air conditioners. i hope that someone cvan help me here. Has anyone else experienced either of these two problems?

Thank you,[/size]

The AC issue isnt with the AC itself I dont think. Mine seems like it takes longer than usual to get the cabin cool but its blowing out 48-50 degree air which is more than plenty cold. I think its more to do with the design of the vents. They look nice and large but put your hand up to one and it feels like the air is being blown out of a straw. Im guessing the opening behind the vent is not very large. Its not a huge deal for me. It does get the cabin nice and cool, it just takes a little longer than normal.

The acceleration issue is something I think is a problem inherent with the Edge. Mine is doing it too but at 15-20 MPH. I got the same line from my worthless Ford dealer that "we test drove some other Edges on the lot and they all do it. Theres no codes so nothing is wrong. Its just drivetrain slack. We talked with Ford and they agree." :banghead:

A while back, a member posted about a technical service bulletin that came down the line. It might be a fix. Didnt work for her but it might for yours as hers was not even engaging! I called my dealer 2 weeks ago about this and I get the "let me look into it and Ill call you back" but they never do. Im going up there personally Monday about it. Hopefully it works.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/4901-attention-ford-edge-owners/

Edited by MacLeod

I appreciate the response. I dont really think that it is a transmission issue. It is a lack of power, flat spot or a hesitation if you will upon a part-throttle acceleration. Hills are the worst. If you want to give it a little gas to maintain speed up a hill it just does not respond until you give it enough pedal (more than normally necessary) and then it will downshift. This has an affect on gas mileage too, having to put the pedal to the floor just to maintain speed. I live in VA but i am from Chicago and i spoke with some service managers that i know at dealers there and they tell me that it is not a common problem and should be fixable.

• 1 month later...

Thx for the responses but it does not sound too encouraging

Hesitation like that is inherent in any drive by wire vehicle. Ford sets the system up this way for longevity and comfort. Through tuning though you can change the tables in the computer for better response.

The AC issue isnt with the AC itself I dont think. Mine seems like it takes longer than usual to get the cabin cool but its blowing out 48-50 degree air which is more than plenty cold. I think its more to do with the design of the vents. They look nice and large but put your hand up to one and it feels like the air is being blown out of a straw. Im guessing the opening behind the vent is not very large. Its not a huge deal for me. It does get the cabin nice and cool, it just takes a little longer than normal.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/4901-attention-ford-edge-owners/

The A/C issue is vent design. My 2008 will blow 40 degree air at the Max setting. I tested with a analog and infrared thermometer. I made a small deflector and placed it just below the opening inside the vent on the driver's side and it has helped. It allows the air to concentrate to the top half of the vent with little to no air coming out of the bottom half. If you pull the trim off, you will see the opening on the drivers side is half of the passenger side. I don't know why Ford thought that was going to work :finger: