Rear map light cover removal

archerm

Anyone know how to remove the rear map-light cover?

My wife left the vista sun-roof open overnight, and it rained! We were able to clean up everything pretty well, but there is about 1/2 inch of standing water trapped inside the rear map-light.

Looks like there is a small 1/2" wide, 1/16" slot on the back. I've tried feeling around in there with a small screw-driver to see if there was a clip to depress, but I'm afraid of breaking the plastic. We've had the car (2008 Edge Limited FWD) for only two weeks, so it's still like a brand new car to us.

Also, anything else I need to be aware of regarding potential water damage?

The next day was breezy and mostly sunny, so the interior has dried out pretty well, we just have that darn water in the overhead dome light.

Thanks,

Archerm

• 3 years later...

This was scary. Grab it from one edge towards the rear and workit out. It will feel like you are going to break something. It will pop out and then you can remove it. It has the connector attached so don't yank away. You can then disconnect it and have the assembly away from the headlinliner. You will need to pop off the dome light cover. This is easier with a small screwdriver. Just work your way around and it will come apart. Then you can change the bulbs,festoon typeX3. I put in LED's and also did the cargo area one.