Backup Reverse Parking sensor install

Hi, this Topic is to help others who might be thinking of installing their own Parking sensors for the rear. I just installed mine in the rear bumper but didn't do my wiring yet.

I had to remover the rear bumper cover five screws in wheel well each side, two on bottom of wheel well where mud flaps are visible from underneith, each side! about three clips under rear lamp housing visible and easily removed by pushing up on bumper cover or using a flat screw driver each side. Plus about seven visible screws where rear gate hatch is ( two large and the rest plastic push in type ). Also one dead center underneith the bumper between the two rear flat mufflers. finally two heaver push type just under the rear lamp housing ( one each side ) I used a Panel pry tool from Autozone $ 10 dollars and was very helpfull gauging pressure not to break any parts. I didn't brake any because of using this tool.

Bumper cover will come off now!! You will see four factory circles where sensors should be installed saving you time using these if you are using a kit of four, I am. YOU SHOULD PRE-DRILL PILOT HOLE FROM INSIDE, BUT USE HOLE SAW FROM OUTSIDE!! This way you will get a cleaner professional look. I made the mistake of drilling with hole saw from inside and will have to touch up bumper. Oil based caulking is recomended helping hold sensors in place. Mines had lips on them, I put lips on top position since my sensors where almost maxed out height wise at 64cm or 24 inches. aiming them straight back and downward.

Then I used some zip ties loosely to hold wires in place inside bumper where painted and black parts meet, there's loops there that came in handy. finally I have wires coming out of bumper were passenger side rear lamp screws are. just out side of where rubber molding is.

Tomorrow I hope to find a clean install area inside rear cargo area and finish this post.

Removing the rear lights ( lamps ) where not very difficult. just two screws each one and pry slowly towards back of vehicle. this helped me see thouse two heavy push type fasteners just underneith holding the bumper. I spent One Hour and a Half just doing this part, with out finishig the electrical hook up yet. ( tomorrow ). Probably another Hour just taking time and care to finish a clean install.

I brought my four sensor system on Ebay $ 50 bucks. And it comes similar to factory in looks and operation. No dispay, just audible beeps! And no hassle having to mount wires to frount of cabin. I couldn't find any where listing amount of screws, and or locations. So I decide to Post this for others.

TODAY: I finished the wiring easy enough green/black being ground and wire with red on it being 12 volt supply. I connected a T connector to 12 volt supply and plugged in. Top bulb was reverse bulb. Ground was on inside panel ( black panel ) just above rear lamp housing. there is a actual ground there 8mm head. I drilled a hole about Half inch or a bit bigger just under passenger lamp mounting hardware on body to pass sensor wires to inside vehicle. there was a inch square openning helping me to pass wires inside and to a big square auxiliary open compartment just waiting for me and my control box plus wires and speaker. The Square compartment is on the Passenger side the side I was working on. I just drilled a hole on top to make acess point less vissible. I didn't have a gromet to use where I inserted wires through body so I used caulking, Oil based.

And Wala after testing all works fine, no problems just more time then expected. 2.5 to 3 Hour install, this is a good time starting point for most of us. Pros do this for a living and will spend much less time. I'm not a pro. I'm a amature like most of us here.

Edited by vikta