Burning smell on 2011 AWD

hankmack

I notice a burning smell when I stop the car and have also noticed some oil spots on the garage floor. I am taking the car in tomorow to see if they can easily spot the problem. Living 30 miles from the dealer is a pain so they will look to see what the [roblem is, order the part and I will bring car in another day to have the repair done.

This is the first American car I have had in 20 years and it is the first time a problem has come out within a month of purchasing a new car. Hope it is not a sign of more problems to come.

Hank

How bad is the smell? Oil bad or PTU bad?

I do not know if the smell is oil or something else. . The drops were not red and were located on the floor so as to appear to have fallen from below the middle of the engine. The smell seems like burining rubber but my noise is not all that great,

Hank

We purchased a new 2010 and on the third day my wife pulled into the garage with smoke and dripping oil. I got under the PTU and found oil dripping from the left axle seal onto the exhaust pipe just below the engine. It turns out this in a well known problem. I think there is a whole group devoted to this topic. The long and short of it is that the dealer replaced the seal and there hasn't been a single drip in 25K miles. Unfortunately, I have heard of people having the entire PTU replaced to solve this problem. Ford did have to go through a few revisions of the seal design before they got it right, but this shouldn't be any more than routine repair at this point. Best of luck, - Steve

• 2 months later...

Just picked up car. They did not put in a new PTU, they put seals on the PTU.

Hank

Just noticed a similar smell today with my 2011 AWD, I'll check for oil spots tomorrow, thanks for the heads up. My car also stalls out occasionally when shifting into reverse. The problem was supposed to be fixed after two visits in the first 1200 miles, but it seems to be back. Any help? I also had to have some computer upgrades in between. 6 visits in 3800 miles.

KM

Just noticed a similar smell today with my 2011 AWD, I'll check for oil spots tomorrow, thanks for the heads up. My car also stalls out occasionally when shifting into reverse. The problem was supposed to be fixed after two visits in the first 1200 miles, but it seems to be back. Any help? I also had to have some computer upgrades in between. 6 visits in 3800 miles.

KM

Edge's have been known to stall sometimes when you're in reverse. My ford edge sport also had the same problem, smelled something close to burning rubber on day one and next thing you know i have black looking oil spots all over my driveway. FIrst time i took it in the technician told me that my car wasnt leaking but instead it was probably condensation dripping off from my dirty chassis onto my driveway...load of crap. Went home continued to have the same problem but they eventually found the leak which was linked to said faulty seal. The sad part was i had to go in 3 times before they figured out the problem.