Plenty of talk about LEDs & resistors... But?

I recently installed Type 1 LED switchbacks in my front turn signals. Even though most people don't experience the hyper flashing with a Type 1 LED, I did. So I'm going to install the resistors. I have searched High and Low, on these forums and also other car forums. I can't seem to find the answers to my questions.

1.) What resistor do I need in terms of Wattage and resistance?

2.) Do I need one for the left and one for the right or can I just install one? I plan on taping the wire at the headlight housing.

3.) There are three wires going to the turn signal socket. Which wire do I need to tap into?

4.) Once I have found my answers, Can I just go to Fry's and buy the cheapies?

Edited by wisdomsp

Looks like I'll need to buy them online. The ones that Fry's carries are intend to mounted to a board and are just a ceramic housing with solid core wire coming out of them. The highest wattage available is 25W, they were only $1.50. The auto parts store clerk looked at me like I was stupid for trying to do such a thing! I'm still not clear on the specs. I've seen 60olm, 6olm, 3olm. most are 50 watt though.

The 6 ohm 50w resistors offered by the seller should be just fine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230666881433

One for the left, one for the right side.

These are the wire taps are shown in the seller listing. for tail/brake/turn. What are the wire colors on your turn signals?:

lr50winfo.jpg

Do a search for resistors people have used. I am pretty sure you can get guidance there. Can't recall right now if BlackEdition's posts have that info in them or not, but there should be others ...

• Like 1

yup, that's what I'm getting. I was hoping to find them locally, but no avail. I think I need these on the white side, I only get hyper flashing when the DRLs (white side of the switchback) are on. I'll need to look at the wire colors and get back to you.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by wisdomsp

Your car does not have DRLs unless you bought it in Canada or you modified the vehicle. DRLs are Daytime Running Lights - they are lights that are on the front only during daylight hours when all other lights are off. Switchbacks merely give you two different colors of light for the parking/running lights and the turn signals. The white LEDs will be lit when the parking lights or headlights are on and the amber LEDs will be lit when the turn signals are in use. Otherwise neither is lit. Basically, the white LEDs replace the dim filament and the amber LEDs replace the bright filament of dual-filament bulbs such as the 3157. Type 1 switchbacks alternate white and amber when the turn signals are used with the parking or headlights on otherwise they flash amber only. Type 2 flashes amber only. If the parking lights or headlights are on when the Type 2 switchback finishes flashing turn signals, it will put the white LEDs back on otherwise it will just remain dark.

A load resistor is used to increase the total resistance of the circuit to match that of regular incandescent bulbs. The low resistance of LEDs makes most vehicles think there is a bulb burned out causing the hyper-flashing to alert the driver to the problem. A 50-watt, 6-ohm resistor is the equivalent load to most common incandescent turn signal bulbs like the 1157 or 3157. You always install the load resistor in the turn signal circuit - not the parking light circuit (which does not flash). One side of the resistor connects to the turn signal power and the other to ground (either the bulb's ground wire or a chassis ground, whichever is more convenient). On the left side the T/S power wire is blue/green and the ground is black/green. On the right side the T/S power wire is yellow/purple and the ground is black/grey.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys! It's hard to filter through all the information here. I thought for sure that prior to installing the LEDs I had amber running lights on that came on when the car was put in drive, so I thought that the whites would come on. I found this not to be the case. The whites only come on when I have the parking light switch on, The head lights on, or it set to auto and it's dark outside. I appreciate the description of Type one and type two switchbacks. I may switch to type tow now that I know what they do.

• 1 month later...

I purchased and installed 50 watt 6olm resistors as talked about above. Even after the install I have hyper flashing. The hyper flash is only present when the parking lights or the headlights are on. If the white side of the switch back is off they work normal. in fact they worked normal prior to installing the resistors, once any other lights are on the hyper flash. Do you guys think I should switch the resistor wire to the other power wire and see if it fixes the problem? I followed Wizard's directions for what wires to use whn making the connections.

any help here would be appreciated.

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

THANX!

You have the correct wires so I suspect that those ScotchLock connectors are not making good contact. If you have a test light or multimeter, open up the cover of the connector and test for power on the bar inside when the signals are on.

The other possibility is that the LED bulbs are defective. Try unplugging the bulb on one side but leaving the resistor connected and see if everything works as it should (except for the missing front bulb of course). That will show if the resistor is doing its job of replacing the load of an incandescent bulb.

So when I take one of the bulbs out I still get hyper flashing. I checked the connectors and they look ok. After searching most of the day for my meter I was able to determin that the connectors were not compressed enough to make good contact. squeezed them with some pliers and all is well. I'm ready to tackle the rears..

Thank you again!

Edited by wisdomsp