2007 vs 2011 wheels

Gortty-Pilot

I recently purchased a set of used 18" Bliizzaks for my FWD Edge. I want to avoid the cost of mounting/rebalancing by getting a second set of wheels.

In the KC area i see a set of 2007 MKX 18" wheels, does anyone know if they'll fit without boring out the hub? Or do i need to wait for some 2nd Gen Edge/MKX 18" wheels to become available?

Edited by Gortty-Pilot

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to find some wheels from a 2016 Explorer. They are 18" wide with a 44mm offset. The lug spacing is also the same.

My only concern was the bore size since the 2011's are 63.4mm. I called a local shop that confirmed the 18" Explorer XLT wheels also have a 63.4 bore. Im awaiting a set of TPMS sensors from eBay this next week. Once I have them, I'll confirm that everything works as planned. Fingers crossed!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's now been about 2 weekss and everything works well. I have 235/60/18 Blizzaks with 11/32" of tread from a Flex on 18" wheels from an Explorer.

The offset difference was 4mm, meaning my tire/wheels are 4mm closer to the struts-not a huge difference but the wheels clear the front calipers with all of 2mm. A little closer than I'd like but its inly until mid March or so when I switch back to my normal LTX Defenders.

As for TPMS, I bought 4 used sensors off if eBay and never even saw the warning light. Like several other members, the sensors synchronized on their own.

The best part if all of this was the total cost was $386. That included tires, wheels, sensors and installation - proving some persistence can pay off.

• Like 1