Hitch Hammer Rear Bumper Protector

After I installed the hitch on the Edge, I thought would add a hitch hammer as a bumper protector, but it seems to sit too low to be of any real protection (pic 1). So I made a riser, trying to minimize the distance it would stick out. I also had the "great" idea that I would paint it the same color as the edge...I think I will repaint it Black. (the so called matching paint was $34.00 It seems too bright, but maybe I needed to do another coat as I used grey primer. But clearly Black is better) On could argue it sits too low still...lets hope I never find out!

post-45950-0-43205800-1495237673_thumb.jpgpost-45950-0-09220700-1495237817_thumb.jpg

Hey I like that idea. I just have one of those square REESE hitch covers on my receiver. But I noted on the listing on Amazon they state "Not a Step." That would be one of the things I WOULD like to use it for. I'd still consider it tho. Have you tested it by stepping up on it at all?

Hey I like that idea. I just have one of those square REESE hitch covers on my receiver. But I noted on the listing on Amazon they state "Not a Step." That would be one of the things I WOULD like to use it for. I'd still consider it tho. Have you tested it by stepping up on it at all?

Hi,

No it is too flimsy to step on.

This is a combo step and protector:

https://smile.amazon.com/WeatherTech-81BS1-Macneil-Automotive-Bump/dp/B00HG2UEBA/ref=pd_sbs_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HG2UEBA&pd_rd_r=3CVJ7H06DGFJ8SRBHYS5&pd_rd_w=RyvcN&pd_rd_wg=tL8QT&psc=1&refRID=3CVJ7H06DGFJ8SRBHYS5

It is plastic and apparently do more damage to the guy that rear ends before breaking. Reviews say it is brittle in winter temps