Struts- which to buy

After look at your refernces, I agree, it's actually a bait and switch.

Here's an article on Ford's strut and spring assys. They call them "loaded" struts. Reading tbe article from August, they don't include the Edge or MKX yet. (Probably next year).

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/product/724751/ford-has-new-line-of-motorcraft-loaded-struts

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

I put in the Monroe Quick-Strut replacement today. This time I jacked up both passenger and drivers side. The replacement strut assembly was to go on the drivers side. The replacement went in easily. Raising the passenger side took off the upward pressure on the drivers side thereby allowing the strut base bolts to go in very easily.

So no body work ( I am the original owner and never had an accident so i knew this was not an issue), no monroe design spec change or defect, just make sure you jack up both sides so there is equal pressure on the front suspension.

• Like 1

The Monroe's seem every bit as good as the OEM and especially since the OEM ones were likely getting worn out. I changed the rear shocks as well but i got OEM motorcraft ones from Rock Auto. Ford does not sell a strut assembly that i could find here in Canada. It seems to ride better now and you can feel its much more solid.

Believe it or not but the price for just the strut and not the mount, boot, etc here was $190 plus 13% tax. The Monroe quick-strut assembly here ranged from $ 360 to $390 plus 13%. Rock Auto was less than half that price.

The new strut assembly is fine so the other one was defective. I'll give Monroe a pass for now. Their allowed one. Their technical help was good too.

• Like 2