WHOOO....NO BRAKES

So yesterday I had to run to the store with my infant and five year old before lunch. On my way home the baby was crying because she was hungry so I was driving in a manner to get home as quick as possible and when I went to turn in to my road I missed it. I had almost NO BRAKES. My edge just reached 2000 miles.

I called the dealer (I only live a few miles from it) and told them the deal with the Edge and that I have two starving kids. No bottles and no diapers. I told them I am on the road in between my house and the ford dealer. I need to go home to feed these kids but if I go home I am not putting them back into a car I am not sure that I can stop and they will need to tow me to the dealer, or I can go straight to the dealer but they must promise me a loaner car or at least a ride home. I can not stay there. They said they should at least get me a ride home and that they will see me in a few minutes.

So I get to the dealer and tell them again....I can not stay here, that I have to get this baby home.

He tells me to have a seat and he will have someone find out if/what is wrong with it. I see my car go in the shop, then an hour later I see it go out on route 1. I go up to the service desk, everyone is busy and no one is telling me what is wrong. Two hours later the baby still crying and I am on the verge of tears. I call my husband and tell him that nobody is telling me anything and can he please come down. As soon as he walks in, the gentleman behind the counter says to me "has anyone told you what is going on?" "Uuuummmm NO!" Then they tell my HUSBAND that the car really wasn't stopping right (Hello, I have a CDL....I drive for a large bus for a living....you think my husband doesn't belive me when I tell him our brand new car all of a sudden won't stop for crap" and that it is still doing it. And that they don't know why, that the whole system is working properly but they can't explain the soft pedal. They are have some Tech comeing down to look at it.

Anyway some time around four (at this point I haven't eaten all day and I'm on the verge of passing out everytime I stand up.)they tell me they are setting up a loaner for me but it is gross and they are having people clean it up for me, because he knows I wouldn't want to drive it like it is.

You can not drive this loaner at night....you can not see though the windows. It is beyond gross. There is 13,000 miles on this taurus and every mile must of been driven with a lit cigarette and the windows closed. My son and I gag for the first two miles in this car , you have to keep the windows open because the cabin filter must be so imbedded with cigarette scum. The smell is soooo bad (and I am a smoker, I just don't smoke in the car, house or around my kids). Any thing you touch you stick to...there is a film of scum on everything. Imagine if they didn't clean it for me. I guess I should be happy they gave me a car, but I don't know. Do you think there is anyother way for me to get a car that I can feel ok about putting my kids into from ford. I don't even like there car seats sitting in that car.

Today my husband CALLS THEM and they tell them that the master booster went. And that my tranny is leaking. They have to order parts and that they do not know when we can expect the car.

I am kind of numb about this whole experience. I am not sure how I should feel. I really like these service guys....they seem like a nice bunch but I don't know....I am kind of disapointed. I guess I just expected more after spending 34,000.

I am sorry for any errors on this post....at this point if I go back to edit I will just delete it. I'm tired of thinking about it.

I have to bring my son somewhere and I am dreading getting into that car.

So yesterday I had to run to the store with my infant and five year old before lunch. On my way home the baby was crying because she was hungry so I was driving in a manner to get home as quick as possible and when I went to turn in to my road I missed it. I had almost NO BRAKES. My edge just reached 2000 miles.

I called the dealer (I only live a few miles from it) and told them the deal with the Edge and that I have two starving kids. No bottles and no diapers. I told them I am on the road in between my house and the ford dealer. I need to go home to feed these kids but if I go home I am not putting them back into a car I am not sure that I can stop and they will need to tow me to the dealer, or I can go straight to the dealer but they must promise me a loaner car or at least a ride home. I can not stay there. They said they should at least get me a ride home and that they will see me in a few minutes.

So I get to the dealer and tell them again....I can not stay here, that I have to get this baby home.

He tells me to have a seat and he will have someone find out if/what is wrong with it. I see my car go in the shop, then an hour later I see it go out on route 1. I go up to the service desk, everyone is busy and no one is telling me what is wrong. Two hours later the baby still crying and I am on the verge of tears. I call my husband and tell him that nobody is telling me anything and can he please come down. As soon as he walks in, the gentleman behind the counter says to me "has anyone told you what is going on?" "Uuuummmm NO!" Then they tell my HUSBAND that the car really wasn't stopping right (Hello, I have a CDL....I drive for a large bus for a living....you think my husband doesn't belive me when I tell him our brand new car all of a sudden won't stop for crap" and that it is still doing it. And that they don't know why, that the whole system is working properly but they can't explain the soft pedal. They are have some Tech comeing down to look at it.

Anyway some time around four (at this point I haven't eaten all day and I'm on the verge of passing out everytime I stand up.)they tell me they are setting up a loaner for me but it is gross and they are having people clean it up for me, because he knows I wouldn't want to drive it like it is.

You can not drive this loaner at night....you can not see though the windows. It is beyond gross. There is 13,000 miles on this taurus and every mile must of been driven with a lit cigarette and the windows closed. My son and I gag for the first two miles in this car , you have to keep the windows open because the cabin filter must be so imbedded with cigarette scum. The smell is soooo bad (and I am a smoker, I just don't smoke in the car, house or around my kids). Any thing you touch you stick to...there is a film of scum on everything. Imagine if they didn't clean it for me. I guess I should be happy they gave me a car, but I don't know. Do you think there is anyother way for me to get a car that I can feel ok about putting my kids into from ford. I don't even like there car seats sitting in that car.

Today my husband CALLS THEM and they tell them that the master booster went. And that my tranny is leaking. They have to order parts and that they do not know when we can expect the car.

I am kind of numb about this whole experience. I am not sure how I should feel. I really like these service guys....they seem like a nice bunch but I don't know....I am kind of disapointed. I guess I just expected more after spending 34,000.

I am sorry for any errors on this post....at this point if I go back to edit I will just delete it. I'm tired of thinking about it.

I have to bring my son somewhere and I am dreading getting into that car.

Take the car back and demand another. Speak firmly but loudly until someone gives you satisfaction. Have the Ford Customer Service 800 number on speed dial and if they dealer won't give you satisfaction, call CS while standing there. All while not yelling, but yet, not keeping your voice low either.

And not to talk about woulda,coulda, shoulda but....after the first 30 minutes, you should have been screaming at someone demanding another car. Then after 35 minutes, your husband should have been on the phone with them.

Take the car back and demand another. Speak firmly but loudly until someone gives you satisfaction. Have the Ford Customer Service 800 number on speed dial and if they dealer won't give you satisfaction, call CS while standing there. All while not yelling, but yet, not keeping your voice low either.

And not to talk about woulda,coulda, shoulda but....after the first 30 minutes, you should have been screaming at someone demanding another car. Then after 35 minutes, your husband should have been on the phone with them.

I just told my friend about this whole ordeal and she said the same thing, in fact she wants to come with me......she is no pushover to put it mildly.

My concern is that they have my car now.......and I don't want to piss them off while they have possesion of it. Also, I want to be on good terms with them in case I need them again. See, I am the type of person that doesn't send food back for fear that they will do something it.

But what if I call CS, do you think they can help me? Does anyone have a quess at how much time I am looking at before I get the edge back, days? Weeks?

Sorry to hear of your ordeal PNCSTOD. Gratefully everyone is safe.. You may have missed my post on the issue but at this point all I can say is ..Welcome to life in the Edge.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=877

A couple of days you should have your car back unless there is a major transmission issue concerning the leak. Good luck

Edited by edged out +

I just told my friend about this whole ordeal and she said the same thing, in fact she wants to come with me......she is no pushover to put it mildly.

My concern is that they have my car now.......and I don't want to piss them off while they have possesion of it. Also, I want to be on good terms with them in case I need them again. See, I am the type of person that doesn't send food back for fear that they will do something it.

But what if I call CS, do you think they can help me? Does anyone have a quess at how much time I am looking at before I get the edge back, days? Weeks?

The CS part of the scenario is more of a scare tactic to the dealership. I'm sure the sales manager doesn't want to hear you on the phone to CS discussing the unsafe and unhealthy condition of the loaner they gave you.

You can do all this and stay on good terms with them. Calm, direct and forceful is the key. Only when they don't satisfy you is when you make the phone call.

It is after hours and I just drove through Ford, my car must still be in the garage. I figure that is a good sign, if they didn't plan on fixing it soon they would most likely park it out to free up the bay. I quess tomorrow I will give the dealership a call, and see if they will let me pick thier brains to get some sort of idea of how long I am looking at. If it's a couple of days....I can handle that. The car seats have been in that car for 24 hours now.....they are going to need a good wash when I get the Edge back anyway. As long as it doesn't rain I will just continue to drive with the windows open so the kids aren't breathing in all the smoke residue. My husband thinks this is a car that one of the dealers or someone from Ford have been driving and not a loner. I think he is right, I can't imagine them loaning this car to many people. Except for me of course :banghead: . Good_Hands, you are so right, but I just don't have the guts. At this point I just want my Edge back. This Taurus has taught me to appreciate my car.

Edged out +, first let me say I love the look of that aftermarket hood. I wish I could see it coming down the road at me. I hope (please, please, please) this will be the last of my issues with the Edge. I love the ride and style of it. Needless to say, with two young children I just can't deal with car issues....that's why we bought new. Also you are right....with everything I was dealing with, I lost sight of what was important......we didn't have an accident. I am well trained, also I've lost brakes twice before with work vehicles, so I stayed calm. Let me also say, that is why I didn't have any concerns about driving the mile and half to the dealer. Do you mind if I ask, Did you take a big loss when you traded in? I'd feel better knowing that was an option if I have any other issues.

Sooooo, I must be feeling better about things......I put on a pair of rubber gloves and washed all of the drivers controls and my son's door handle. Atleast that way our fingers won't stick to them anymore. :shades: And um...I think I found a big dried booger by the drivers door lock. Yuck.

On a side note, I noticed today even through the smoke residue covered windows that the Taurus has a larger dash reflection than the Edge. I don't think it is any more severe than the Edge, but covers a larger part of the windshild.

Also the Taurus' brake pedal feels mushier than the Edges. And I felt that the Edge stops better than the Taurus. That is when my Edge used to stop correctly :) . Of course this Taurus could need brakes....I don't know, but it does only have 13,000 miles on it.

Edited by pncstod

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I am in the market for an Edge and I am also from CT. I'm not sure if, on this site, you are allowed to tell me the name of the dealer but I know at least 2 that match your description (Rt 1).

I am currently working with one of them and I would really like to know which one did this. While I've had previous experience with my dealer, as they turnover employees, experiences change.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I am in the market for an Edge and I am also from CT. I'm not sure if, on this site, you are allowed to tell me the name of the dealer but I know at least 2 that match your description (Rt 1).

I am currently working with one of them and I would really like to know which one did this. While I've had previous experience with my dealer, as they turnover employees, experiences change.

elliemaej, I'm pretty sure I am allowed to say which dealer it is, but really, I am not here to bash them. I just needed to vent. Although my experience on Tuesday was miserable and this loaner leaves alot to be desired, I will be satisfied as long as my car is fixed correctly and in a timely maner.

I guess what I am trying to say is that what happened to me on Tuesday could of happened anywhere. There are good days and bad, I must of had my brakes fail on a bad day.

Ford dealerships is what makes Ford look bad. I would drive the loaner through the front door myself, but I have a short fuse on things like that. I spent over $30k on a vehicle from your lot, you WILL respect me. Go raise hell and have them give you a brand new edge or something with same value to drive. I did when my mach 1 went into shop for a few days. You will not give me a $15K car that is a POS and has boogers on it and smells like a strip club.

I havn't heard of a problem on brakes myself, but glad no accident. My next oil change I am having them go over the entire car to make sure I have no issues. I just get tired of that damn noise every time I hit a bump in the rear area. I have put a piece of cloth behind the license plate and that isn't it. Other than that, no issues here.

Kevin

Edged out +, first let me say I love the look of that aftermarket hood. I wish I could see it coming down the road at me. I hope (please, please, please) this will be the last of my issues with the Edge. I love the ride and style of it. Do you mind if I ask, Did you take a big loss when you traded in? I'd feel better knowing that was an option if I have any other issues.

Edge MSRP about 32,000

X-plan/rebates 2,800

........................ 29,200

Down Payment... 10,000

......................... 19,200

Tax/tag/title 1,500

......................... 20,700 remaining balance

Fusion MSRP about 29,000

x-plan/incentives 2,900

Edge trade-in value 5,300 (26,000 minus original 20,700 balance)

............................ 20,800

PA Tax credit/tag 300

............................ 21,100 remaining balance

As you can see I increased my remaining balance by $400.00 which includes me picking up a moonroof and DVD/Navigation and 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty of which the Edge was not equipped with these.

The Edge dealer trade-in amount was $26,000

In the states of PA and WV you get a tax credit if you replace an existing vehicle with another vehicle as they can see I had already paid taxes on the previous vehicle I only had to pay new taxes on the amount difference.

So all-in-all it was a matter of timing with the Fusion rebates and year end closeout sale helped to eliminate the depreciated trade-in value. Less than $500.00 difference and I have a vehicle that functions properly with ZERO issues!

Good luck with yours and hope you get the satisfaction you paid for!!

Edited by edged out +