Weird MP3/Sync problem

I've got a 2008 MKX Limited with the Nav system and Sync....Everything has worked fine for a couple of months that I've had it, and I use the MP3 feature extensively playing files off of a flash drive or HDD through the USB port. The strangest thing started happening the other day though; it started acting like it was playing the MP3s (counter is going, display appears, etc), but there is no sound.

The stereo is fine, all other stereo functions work fine with no problems (so I know it's not the speakers/volume/etc), just anything through the USB plays items with no volume...this is true on every USB device I've put in it (either a flash drive or a player). I tried to reset it, and even called Ford about it, and they told me to take it to the dealer, and have never heard of such a problem (bad USB port?). This seems almost like a software glitch. I'm going to take it into the dealer and cross me fingers, but has anyone else had this problem?

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same problem last week. Now it is playing again. Try updating your sync SW via the syncmyride website (which uses a flash drive to update everything). I think that is what did it for me (plus, once I did the update, I did a "master reset" of the system)

I have just encountered this problem today - everything works but there is no sound when USB flash drive is in. The radio, CDs, and everything else works.

What did you find out???? Let me know. Such a bummber, cuz I've only had the car two weeks.

Thanks,

Sheri

I had the same problem last week. Now it is playing again. Try updating your sync SW via the syncmyride website (which uses a flash drive to update everything). I think that is what did it for me (plus, once I did the update, I did a "master reset" of the system)

Once I took mine in, the dealer told me that I had a bad wire from the USB port to the stereo. They replaced it, and it was working. Now, just today, it started doing it again. :(

Once I took mine in, the dealer told me that I had a bad wire from the USB port to the stereo. They replaced it, and it was working. Now, just today, it started doing it again. :(

Update: dropped it by the dealer today, and the technician said that Ford told him it might be a problem with part of the Sync system in the back of the armrest...it sounds like this has happened to some other people and may require a software update to clear it, or it may be trouble with part of the Sync rom...the weird thing is after he put it back together, it started working fine again. Since the unit is in the armrest, is should only take them a couple of minutes to look at if anyone else runs into this.

Took mine to the d/ship today and the "radio expert" checked it out and couldn't find the problem. He lifted the hood and unhooked the battery, which reset everything, and it now works. (Of course, I lost all of my radio presets, my phonebook, etc, in the process.) He told me that, if it happend again, to try to make note of what was happening when I lost the sound to the USB.

Now, one thing that is happening now - and it was happening before I lost it the first time - is that when I'm listening to music thru the USB and I get or make a phone call, when I finish the call there will be an error message "Unplayable Media File". Then I have to just pull out the flash drive and put it back in and it will continue playing. It was doing that before and now it's doing it again, so it makes me feel that my phone somehow is interfering with the USB. I have a feeling that I'm going to have the sound disappear again, but we'll see.

Is anybody else experiencing that, with the phone interfering??? My phone is an LG 500 and is not on "the list" on syncmyride.

~Sheri

I just had the same problem. Saw the song title with the clock running but no sound. Radio, CD fine.

Master Reset did nothing but make me wait for the indexing to finish. Still didn't work.

Pulled the fuse for a few seconds and put it back in. Seems OK now. Fuse is 3rd from top left if anyone is interested (#3, YMMV).

Hope it lasts. By the way, I don't have a phone paired so don't think that is part of the cause.

It's from Microsoft, so guess we'll need to 'reboot' every once in a while :)

John

• 1 year later...

happened to me today. Was playing USB harddrive fine, had been for about 6 months. Got in car tonight, started driving, no sound from the radio... display was working, counter going, text correct, volume up.... radio and cd just fine. Master reset no dice. Will try fuse tomorrow and post results.

Mine does the same thing sometimes. Sync takes the usb command, the song titles and time runs on the stereo screen but no sound.

I have an iphone and I have my music in it. I have to restart my iphone and it works fine. Seems to happen mostly if I do not shuffle the music before plugging it in.

same here same here...

I use an iPod touch with a Nokia E65... about every second time I end a call (via bluethooth) the sound doesn't come back. I saw a solution somewhere else here on the forum: use the voice command 'usb'. This helps, sometimes. I still end up rebooting the iPod every other day. I also noticed that for no reason the phone calls are being started in 'privacy on' mode. And you can only turn privacy off when the call is connected... And I have the latest sync version.

I took it to the dealer and they told me the SYNC system needed an upgrade. I said it was broke and needed to be fixed, but they said they needed a cable they didn't have to perform the upgrade... typical Microsoft product, typical Ford service I guess.

EDIT: I downloaded 1.3 update and tried to apply it to my system, said something about not being able to install, the system rebooted, and about 20 mins later she came back up all systems go again. Who knows at this point.

Edited by scudd

• 1 year later...

The Sync in our 2010 Limited started to act up. It would act like the iPod was not even plugged into the USB port and it would not do any voice activation when the button was pressed on the steering wheel. I simply did a fuse pull of the 15A fuse in position 3 on the driver side kick panel and it cured my problem. Looks like this Microsoft product needs to be rebooted every once in a while as well. Hope somebody finds this useful.