Need Help Solving My Amp's "Auto Sensing On/Off" Feature

Back in December, I had a 5 Channel Amp, an RE-Q5, a Bazooka sub, & Rockford Fosgate door speakers installed in my 2011 SEL. I am very happy with the results with the exception of one thing.

When the amp senses that there is no signal coming from the head unit, it automatically goes off. In most scenarios, that's fine, but in phone calls, it's problematic. If I am talking for a good amount of time on my end and then stop, the person has heard me just fine, but when they respond and begin speaking, their first few words get cut off until the amp senses the signal and turns back on. I hope that makes sense.

I've done some research here and on other websites and don't have any answers yet. I see no adjustment knobs nor switches on the exterior of the amp to defeat this. There is no help on the amp's website and the manual is incredibly unhelpful. Here's my amp for reference: http://www.bossaudio.com/auto/5-channel-mosfet-bridgeable-car-amplifier-ce2505/

So here are my questions:

Before I take it back to the installer, is there anything else I can do or check?

Am I asking him to install a "trick wire" to kick the amp on and keep it on whenever I start the car?

Are their precautions I need him to take on installing a "trick wire?"

Thanks in advance for any answers you might be able to give.

Peace,

DM

DM, I have an REQ5 unit as well and had the same problem. The fix is to hook into a switched 12V source and turn the auto-sense feature off. You can use a fuse tap for the 12V source via the red wire (I can't remember exactly which one, it is in the manual for the REQ5). I believe it is fuse 39. The only downside i have seen to this so far is that the power source I tapped into does not stay on when the car is in accessory mode, or when you turn the car off but don't open the doors. Other than that it has fixed the problem you have described.

Edit: Oh, and it isn't your amp that is the problem, it is the REQ5, as long as you have the blue wire from the REQ5 as the turn-on lead going to the amp. If that wasn't clear from my post.

Edited by spongers

• 1 month later...

spongers,

Just wanted to say thanks. I printed out this thread and took it to my installer and he understood exactly what you meant and fixed it. He agreed that it wouldn't work when the car is in the on / acc mode and that has proven to be true.

But, I am so pleased with the fact that the system doesn't cut out / cut off anymore. Love it!

I appreciate your help.

Peace,

DM