Do 20s make a ride that much quieter?

Vortechtral

Not sure about current models, but when we purchased our 2012 Limited, one of the main reasons was it's quieter interior over both the SEL and Sport models we also looked at. Salesman said that the Limited had different windshield (it does say "sound design") and other sound deadening measures taken from the MKX version. Who knows, but it was noticeably quieter than the other versions, and still is a very quiet ride even at highway speeds with snow tires (always a louder tire, no matter the size) on there.

Wow! This explains at least one of the inconsistencies between my personal "review" of my '12 Limited and the Consumer Reports review. I had no idea there were sound-deadening differences between models. Their review talks about "pronounced " road noise and I have never understood that. I only drove the vehicle I bought, not other trim lines.

• 2 months later...

My sport is pretty quiet in the cabin. Is their really different sound deadening materiel between the Limited and the Sport. When traveling down the highway I hear more noise coming from the back doors than the front and the difference in the glass is probably why. I'm sure the dual pain windows cost more but it would have been nice if Ford would have put the dual layer glass in the back doors as well.

Is their an air gap between the 2 window pains or are they sandwiched right together?