20" versus 22" on 2013 Ecoboost

granto

I know I'll never find any hard concrete numbers for performance and fuel economy but I thought I'd look for other people's opinions.

I have a 2013 FWD Limited Ecoboost. It has the stock 20" wheels and I'm satisfied with the current performance and fuel economy. I'm sure both would improve with a smaller wheel and tire combination but what I want to know is how much I'll really suffer if I upgraded to the OEM 22" Sport wheels?

If I don't go with the 22", there seems to be people selling a Ford option 20" chromed aluminum wheel that looks nice. My plan is to use the stock 20" chrome clad wheel for a winter set.

• 4 weeks later...

The "stock" Edge Limited wheels are 18" chrome with 10 equal-sized spokes. The optional wheels are 20" chrome that Ford calls 5-spoke but each spoke has a split near the rim that makes them look like a 10-spoke. The spokes are not as evenly spaced as the 18" wheels and have a wider, flattened area near the rim.

The stock 18" and 20" wheel/tire combinations are essentially the same - they have nearly identical total diameter and revolutions per mile (only a 0.24% difference) so unless one wheel is significantly heavier than the other, there should be no significant difference in mileage.

The 22" wheel/tire combinations are somewhat larger (2.6% larger and no doubt heavier as well) so I would expect somewhere around 5% reduction in mileage... from 30 mpg down to about 28.5 mpg.