SYNC / MyFord Touch

TheWizard

<rant>

I think SYNC stands for "Sorry, You're Not Connected" or maybe something else that means "planned disobedience". I half expect to say "increase fan speed" and have it respond "shutting off engine".

At least in my Mustang I can mostly ignore it. There are real, physical, moving buttons and knobs for the climate and audio system including radio presets. My wife's Edge with MyFord Touch has almost completely done away with knobs and switches so you have to make SYNC voice commands work unless you want to be looking away from the road at the touch screen or dash menu. For example, instead of changing fan speed with a knob I could easily reach by touch, I have to look at the center stack to find the touch controls. Great safety item! Who's brilliant idea was that?

I don't just blame Ford... all the manufacturers seem to be doing away with common sense controls in favor of touch screens and menus. It seems the object is not to make the vehicle better but to make it more marketable to the video game generation. That would be the same generation who won't even know what "clockwise" means because they've never used an analog clock.

</rant>

Anybody else feel the same?

I agree they should have hard controls for frequently used functions but I don't think fan speed should be one of them when you have EATC.

Use the steering wheel buttons to adjust the temp up or down as needed and you don't have to fiddle with the manual controls.