20's

npggirl

Have wheels become the new status symbol? It used to be the vehicle itself, but now it seems to be more about the wheels than the vehicle.

The part I really don't get is when I see a car worth $2K with $4K worth of wheels and tires.

I think, for some people, it is all about wheels and tires. I see a lot of that around town - cars that aren't in that great of shape but they have, what some people would call, nice 22's or 24's (tires and wheels).

Why do car makers even offer wheels/hubcaps then? If it wasn't about appearance, you would just have the tire and the generic black wheel.

You are right. It should be about the vehicle itself. For me, and a lot of people I know, nice tires and wheels just add to the overall appearance of that vehicle.

Have wheels become the new status symbol? It used to be the vehicle itself, but now it seems to be more about the wheels than the vehicle.

The part I really don't get is when I see a car worth $2K with $4K worth of wheels and tires.

Please don't associate us or the Edge with those hoopty cars driving around with entirely too large of a wheel installed on a POS car. This is a factory rim. Sure it looks nice but it also will provide a firmer ride with tighter handling and cornering. Maybe even better 60-0 braking since the front end will dive less during emergency braking. So it's not just about the looks alone. I happen to prefer the style of the spokes on the 20" rims over the 18" rims. I don't classify these as "bling bling pimp my ride" rims like the 22" and 24" that some others have installed. Plus the Pirelli tires used still have a decent amount of sidewall. Unlike the baloney skin tires I've seen on some pimp-mobiles, gangster cars, and rice-burners.

I installed 20 inch wheels on my Edge. I also had the H&R Sport springs installed.

Because two of my wheels arrived bent I was able to drive around for about a week and a half on stock 18" wheels and tires after the springs were installed.

The springs made a big difference both in ride and handling. The wheels and tires... not so much change in the ride, relatively.

Between my adjusting to the difference and the springs (I swear) breaking in I just couldn't be happier with the difference in my Edge.

The look is sooo much better and the handling difference is simply HUGE.

I agree that the 20" may be the sweet spot but the right 22s look great too.

I can see, even with the Edge almost 2" lower, where 22s would fit fine.

Personally I didn't want to give up that much sidewall while trying to keep the overall diameter as close as possible to factory (speedometer, odometer, etc)

akirby: Not all after market wheels are put on a car for status.

I did mine for the look and for myself. To make the Edge my own instead of cookie-cutter off the showroom floor.

I think my Edge looks great and have seen a bunch that also look really nice with different wheels.

I'm not going shopping for some crazy 40" jobs but with Ford offering 20s in '08 it's clearly not so far out there to install a bigger diameter wheel.

post-1289-1191943628_thumb.jpg

npggirl: Go for it girl!

Be sure to post up some pictures for us afterward :)

I installed 20 inch wheels on my Edge. I also had the H&R Sport springs installed.

Because two of my wheels arrived bent I was able to drive around for about a week and a half on stock 18" wheels and tires after the springs were installed.

The springs made a big difference both in ride and handling. The wheels and tires... not so much change in the ride, relatively.

Between my adjusting to the difference and the springs (I swear) breaking in I just couldn't be happier with the difference in my Edge.

The look is sooo much better and the handling difference is simply HUGE.

I agree that the 20" may be the sweet spot but the right 22s look great too.

I can see, even with the Edge almost 2" lower, where 22s would fit fine.

Personally I didn't want to give up that much sidewall while trying to keep the overall diameter as close as possible to factory (speedometer, odometer, etc)

akirby: Not all after market wheels are put on a car for status.

I did mine for the look and for myself. To make the Edge my own instead of cookie-cutter off the showroom floor.

I think my Edge looks great and have seen a bunch that also look really nice with different wheels.

I'm not going shopping for some crazy 40" jobs but with Ford offering 20s in '08 it's clearly not so far out there to install a bigger diameter wheel.

post-1289-1191943628_thumb.jpg

npggirl: Go for it girl!

Be sure to post up some pictures for us afterward :)

Hey. Nice post! Thanks! I am digging the wheels for sure. It "tops" off the look of the every so wonderful Edge!

I will be sure to give you a lot of pics when I get mine. I spoke with my dealer yesterday and he now says that if I order around the first of NOV. I MIGHT get it by Christmas, or around the 1st of Jan.

Thank you all for the comments...

lovin' all the edges!!!