Ford IDS programming rates

Related to another thread, I am interested in possibly getting a OEM nav system reprogrammed by my dealer and I am wondering what a typical charge would be for this service. I know that this uses the obdII system and should be relativity quick. But the dealer I went to wanted $400.00 to reflash this radio, which I think is ridiculous.

Any Input?

Chaz....

Related to another thread, I am interested in possibly getting a OEM nav system reprogrammed by my dealer and I am wondering what a typical charge would be for this service. I know that this uses the obdII system and should be relativity quick. But the dealer I went to wanted $400.00 to reflash this radio, which I think is ridiculous.

Any Input?

Chaz....

Yes, there are two places you can have it done:

Contact Dominic at ARC 781-721-0092

or Call Chicago parts and sound. 630-350-1500 Ask for Ray.

ARC charges $150 but if you mention that Stan refered you for $100, they are cool and will do it for $100.

The chicago parts and sound I read on a forum somewhere charges $100 which is nice because I live 15 minutes away from the place. However, when I called and asked for ray, he said it was $200. I asked if he would do it for $100 and he told me to ask the owner which was a total dick and said $200 non negotiable.

Either way it is still cheaper than having a dealer do it because most dealers simply ship it to either of these two places to have the reprogramming done. I am installing mine on friday and I hope that it works without reprogramming. If not, I'd really like to get it done close to home at the chicago parts and sound. Maybe if I can get a few units in and show him there is interest from the Edge fan community, he can offer a discount. Let me know if you are interested and I'll stop by there this weekend and ask.

Yes, there are two places you can have it done:

Contact Dominic at ARC 781-721-0092

or Call Chicago parts and sound. 630-350-1500 Ask for Ray.

ARC charges $150 but if you mention that Stan refered you for $100, they are cool and will do it for $100.

The chicago parts and sound I read on a forum somewhere charges $100 which is nice because I live 15 minutes away from the place. However, when I called and asked for ray, he said it was $200. I asked if he would do it for $100 and he told me to ask the owner which was a total dick and said $200 non negotiable.

Either way it is still cheaper than having a dealer do it because most dealers simply ship it to either of these two places to have the reprogramming done. I am installing mine on friday and I hope that it works without reprogramming. If not, I'd really like to get it done close to home at the chicago parts and sound. Maybe if I can get a few units in and show him there is interest from the Edge fan community, he can offer a discount. Let me know if you are interested and I'll stop by there this weekend and ask.

Coppermine33:

Wow great info - I am interested but dont go run out just yet - I still have to get the head unit in hand. I will keep in touch.

Chaz

Just a quick update, I recieved my navigation system last friday and put it in. I have a 2006 Fusion with the audiophile option and steering wheel controls. The unit came from a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer. I noticed from scouting around that all Mountaineers with the nave system had a subwoofer so that means they are programmed for audiophile. It installed in about 15 minutes, very easy plug and play. The steering wheel controls still work as do the speakers in the rear deck that came with the upgraded stereo.

Summed up, everything worked so I did not need reprogramming. The only thing is that the screen says mercury instead of ford. To be honest, its not worth paying $100+ to have it flashed to say ford, besides the monochrome mercury logo on the screen looks better with a black interior than a blue ford logo would.

Moral of the story: if you buy a nav system on ebay, ask for the model number so you can find out what car it came from. That way you can see if it is programmed for the same options you have so that you can save hundred(s) by not having to reprogram it!

• 1 month later...
Just a quick update, I recieved my navigation system last friday and put it in. I have a 2006 Fusion with the audiophile option and steering wheel controls. The unit came from a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer. I noticed from scouting around that all Mountaineers with the nave system had a subwoofer so that means they are programmed for audiophile. It installed in about 15 minutes, very easy plug and play. The steering wheel controls still work as do the speakers in the rear deck that came with the upgraded stereo.

Summed up, everything worked so I did not need reprogramming. The only thing is that the screen says mercury instead of ford. To be honest, its not worth paying $100+ to have it flashed to say ford, besides the monochrome mercury logo on the screen looks better with a black interior than a blue ford logo would.

Moral of the story: if you buy a nav system on ebay, ask for the model number so you can find out what car it came from. That way you can see if it is programmed for the same options you have so that you can save hundred(s) by not having to reprogram it!

Yes but how do you know if the donor vehicle had the same options? For example, I just bought one off ebay to go into my 07 F150 with steering wheel controls, sirius, and audiophile, no dvd. The donor vehicle is a 2008 Expedition. I'm sure that has steering wheel controls, but I don't know about the audiophile or sirius (although sirius shouldn't matter as it's a seperate module).

thx

• 4 years later...

I know this is a old post but i thinking of something that could help. I just need an advise if i'm right. My 6cd on my freestar no longer works. Everything else do but on the cd mode it's always displaying "check player". I have the dvd and the steering wheel control on my minivan. My goal is to add the mp3 to this car. In case of i would just keep the same thing, unfortunatly i'm unable to find the same model # 3f2t-18c815-ee. So why not an upgrade!

My solution could be to buy another radio with the mp3 and just swap the mecanism (cd player) and keeping everything else. Does it should works?

Btw. I have called the dealer for the reprogramming thing and it said there's no flat rate . 125$/ hour ouch!!!! maybe i could save some bucks by only swapping the players.