Just Bought a 2010 Edge

Normandy

Hey everyone, I just purchased a 2010 Edge today and have a quick question for ya. Before you ask, yes i did try searching the forum for the answer but this forum is a little different from what im used to so no dice. I'm curious as to what performance mods work best on the 3.5. Mainly CAI, tuners, ect Nothing too serious. I would just like to know any ( if at all) more punch i can add to it. Thanks everyone.

Welcome & congrats on your '10 Edge! Is it an AWD or FWD? The 3.5 is generally a sturdy, reliable engine. But there aren't really any available drop-in performance mods for it. The most significant mod would be a tune. CAI/exhaust systems currently available are more "appearance" mods than "power" mods. Part of the issue is the power handling capability of the transmission. While well equipped to deal with 265+ hp (officially anyway), there isn't headroom for much more. The tune would allow you to improve the behavior of the transmission to suit your driving style, and that is the real benefit.

There are one-off instances of a turbo having been added, but they are expensive (think $8K as a starting point), and their power add/reliability is undocumented.

Maintenance is the best "mod" you can do for your Edge, even if you have a fully documented service history. If you do not have a warranty on it and have an AWD, consider the PTU "upgrade" of adding a drain plug (posts by the_natrix) to it and flushing the PTU fluid. That is an unofficial maintenance item that has proven valuable to drivers of other Ford AWD vehicles.

Look up owner's manuals at owner.ford.com (Vehicle Basics -> Owner's Manuals), then pick your Edge) if you do not have them handy. There is a maintenance guide in there also.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Welcome & congrats on your '10 Edge! Is it an AWD or FWD? The 3.5 is generally a sturdy, reliable engine. But there aren't really any available drop-in performance mods for it. The most significant mod would be a tune. CAI/exhaust systems currently available are more "appearance" mods than "power" mods. Part of the issue is the power handling capability of the transmission. While well equipped to deal with 265+ hp (officially anyway), there isn't headroom for much more. The tune would allow you to improve the behavior of the transmission to suit your driving style, and that is the real benefit.

There are one-off instances of a turbo having been added, but they are expensive (think $8K as a starting point), and their power add/reliability is undocumented.

Maintenance is the best "mod" you can do for your Edge, even if you have a fully documented service history. If you do not have a warranty on it and have an AWD, consider the PTU "upgrade" of adding a drain plug (posts by the_natrix) to it and flushing the PTU fluid. That is an unofficial maintenance item that has proven valuable to drivers of other Ford AWD vehicles.

Look up owner's manuals at owner.ford.com (Vehicle Basics -> Owner's Manuals), then pick your Edge) if you do not have them handy. There is a maintenance guide in there also.

Hey Thank you. Its a SEL FWD.It only has 29800 on it. Its a certified pre owned and i have additional warranty on it so im not overly concerned. We originally wanted a AWD, is there an issue with those? Any idea what the SCT tune would give? Thanks for the reply.

The main issue with the AWD is the possibility that the PTU will leak/overheat. Despite what Ford says, establishing a regular PTU fluid change interval should help longevity.

I do not have an SCT tune (yet), but when I communicated with Torrie at Unleashed Tuning, the tune can be optimized for MPG, or performance, or both. You may gain a few HP/TQ, but don't expect miracles. The beauty will be in how well the engine & drivetrain work together AFTER the tune. Plus you will be able to datalog, which can help the tuner (e.g., Torrie) refine the tune specifically for your Edge.

The main issue with the AWD is the possibility that the PTU will leak/overheat. Despite what Ford says, establishing a regular PTU fluid change interval should help longevity.

I do not have an SCT tune (yet), but when I communicated with Torrie at Unleashed Tuning, the tune can be optimized for MPG, or performance, or both. You may gain a few HP/TQ, but don't expect miracles. The beauty will be in how well the engine & drivetrain work together AFTER the tune. Plus you will be able to datalog, which can help the tuner (e.g., Torrie) refine the tune specifically for your Edge.

I see, Now i've been trying to find any issues with the 2010 year and so far ( thankfully) i cant. Are you aware of any issues with the 2010 year?

Thanks again