TPMs and Winter rims

GT475

Good evening all,

Been a while since my last post.

In fact, I have not been driven the Edge much this summer. I did enjoy more my Mustang 95GT and our 2005 Mustang GT convertible.

Now winter is coming and I am looking at winter tires for the Edge.

One option is to use the 17" rims from the 05 GT convertible since the Mustang is stored during the winter. Next spring the Mustang will get new 18" wheel anyway with larger rubber on it and its factory 17" will sit in the garage.

So, my plan is to use the Mustang 05 17" factory rim as my Edge winter rims. I have check the wheel on the Edge and it fits. The clearance between the fron caliper and the inside rim is about 1/4". Backspacing is different but the Mustang rim is larger than the Edge.

My biggest question is : what about the TPMS since the Mustang rim does have the pressure monitoring sensor?

How do I get around?

The Edge has the 18" rim and winter tires for that size is not only too expensive but also not the best.

Any idea?

Thanks

Marc G

try this link - i think it will help you ... don't forget to match the overall diameter of the 18" wheel and tire if you change to 17" rims.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_2219956/tm.htm

good luck

Thanks for the info.

Since our mustang is from 2005, I do not think it has the TPMS system. I have to verify.

I have verified the OD of the EDGE 18" with 245/60R18: 29.575"

The best 17" rim combo for the EDGE would be with Michelin X-ICE 245/65R17

Now from what I understand, I will have to get new sensors and band to install inside the Mustang rim prior to the tire mounting.

Do you know if I will have to have them calibrated by the Ford dealer after the installation?

I am not planning to have the winter tire installation done at the dealer.

Thanks

Marc G

Hi GT475

You don't necessarily have to have TPMS sensors for your winter wheels.

If you don't have them you will be looking at an idiot light the whole time. Also the LED screen will display a fault with the system, requiring you to clear the error after each start.

If you leave your original wheel in your garage they will likely reset the computer whenever your parked next to them. That will stop the errors etc for (I believe) about 25 miles.

If you do go with sensors you will need the sensors and bands installed on the wheels prior to having tires mounted.

Additionally you will have to have the sensors calibrated. It doesn't take long but until the major tire places start to use the devices necessary will have to be done at the dealership. If they try to charge you more than 30 minutes they are gouging. It cost me $37.50

Keep in mind as well that you will have to have the original sensors recalibrated when you reinstall the original wheels.

Calibration, as I understand it, is simply telling the vehicle's computer to talk to the particular sensors in the wheels on the car.

Additionally you will have to have the sensors calibrated. It doesn't take long but until the major tire places start to use the devices necessary will have to be done at the dealership. If they try to charge you more than 30 minutes they are gouging. It cost me $37.50

Keep in mind as well that you will have to have the original sensors recalibrated when you reinstall the original wheels.

Calibration, as I understand it, is simply telling the vehicle's computer to talk to the particular sensors in the wheels on the car.

Thanks Scoopo,

It kind of defeats the benefit from not having to go to the dealer / tire guys at each season change, doesn't it?

One of the benefit from having a separate set of winter rims is to be independant. Now, if I have to make appointment to the dealer when I change my winter to summer tires for the sensor recalibration....whash

So, my options are:

1) Buy expensive 18" winter tire for the OEM rim and take appointment twice a year for the changeout at about $80 per appointment ($20 per wheel install + balance) with the additional risk of having the rim damaged and/or the tires each time. No sensor re-calibration but still need appointment for the tire change. Plus the rim degradation with winter road salt.

2) Buy a set of less expensive 17" tire and use the Mustang rim. With this, I have to decide if I want to live 5 months of the year with the bloody light on (does not seem like a big deal now but who knows after 1 month). It will then be too late to go back after $1000 invested (big word here) in a set of tire.

3) With option 2, buy the sensor and the band for a 17" rim. This, however, does not seem to alleviate the appointment issue since the car computer will still need a visit to the dealer to recalibrate the sensor, right?

The savings benefit seems to quickly evaporate with this as the $ delta between the 18" and the 17" tires will be taken by the sensor and the band and the recalibration.

I hate this option of TPMS.

Marc G

Thanks Scoopo,

It kind of defeats the benefit from not having to go to the dealer / tire guys at each season change, doesn't it?

One of the benefit from having a separate set of winter rims is to be independant. Now, if I have to make appointment to the dealer when I change my winter to summer tires for the sensor recalibration....whash

So, my options are:

1) Buy expensive 18" winter tire for the OEM rim and take appointment twice a year for the changeout at about $80 per appointment ($20 per wheel install + balance) with the additional risk of having the rim damaged and/or the tires each time. No sensor re-calibration but still need appointment for the tire change. Plus the rim degradation with winter road salt.

2) Buy a set of less expensive 17" tire and use the Mustang rim. With this, I have to decide if I want to live 5 months of the year with the bloody light on (does not seem like a big deal now but who knows after 1 month). It will then be too late to go back after $1000 invested (big word here) in a set of tire.

3) With option 2, buy the sensor and the band for a 17" rim. This, however, does not seem to alleviate the appointment issue since the car computer will still need a visit to the dealer to recalibrate the sensor, right?

The savings benefit seems to quickly evaporate with this as the $ delta between the 18" and the 17" tires will be taken by the sensor and the band and the recalibration.

I hate this option of TPMS.

Marc G

The dealer isn't the only one who has the calibration tool. Find someone (my guy at Firestone as one) who has one and throw him a little business. Oil change, grab some business cards and tell him you recommend people, etc.

They will gladly do it for free.

The dealer isn't the only one who has the calibration tool. Find someone (my guy at Firestone as one) who has one and throw him a little business. Oil change, grab some business cards and tell him you recommend people, etc.

They will gladly do it for free.

When I was looking for a place to install my wheels and tires no one in my area I spoke to had the tool for this newer model vehicle yet.

They all said they'd be getting them soon though.

Either way he would still need to make twice-yearly appointments to have the sensors calibrated or watch the warning light half the year.

Getting someone with the tool to do it while you're there for an oil change or something sounds doable.

Given the options between swapping tires and calibrating sensors it would be cheaper and there would be no risk of damaging the rims with twice-yearly calibration.

The sensors aren't cheap but would only need to be purchased and installed once. -assuming one doesn't go bad or some such