Towing Question

bjenkins7

Hi Bruce,

Blue Ox and Roadmaster both have brackets. I have the Roadmaster on mine. You can do a query for the sites. The cost is about $380 for each. The Roadmaster was easy to put on and unless your looking for it, probably would not notice it. However, I have caps placed on the bracket so you can't see the opening. The brackets are level with my tow bar, so no further modifications are required. I have towed it for over 2000 miles without problems.

The tail lights take about 2 hours to wire. The six pin connector that I use was installed below the bumper. I painted it flat black and it is almost invisible.

If you need to run cables into the cabin, pull the battery and a large grommet is on the firewall. Wires will drop immediately behind the brake pedal. I use a Brake Buddy and ran the Breakaway cable from the front bumper in to the BB.

The Edge tows very well and notice no difference from my Buick Century I towed before.

GM has had problems with battery drain but no one has reported problems that I am aware of on any of the sites.

Hope this helps.

Marv

• Like 1

I used a Roadmaster All Terrain Falcon 2 to tow a Subaru 60,000 miles. It is a good system and I had no problems.

For our new Edge I went with Blue Ox because of how it looks with the towbar removed. Yes, you can remove the Roadmaster cross member but there is never a good place to store it. For four years the Subaru had the Roadmaster iron stored on the front of the car. The Blue Ox cross member is permanently attached behind the grill and is part of the “base plate” engineering so, there is nothing to store. Even the “bullets” remove easily. You can download the base plate instructions (with pictures) here: http://www.aemfg.com/pdfs/BX2190.pdf

After getting the car and towbar set up I towed the Edge from Virginia to Washington State. My battery went dead on day two. The owners manual instructions are not as clear as I think they should be. After starting the engine, hooking up the towbar, shifting to neutral and releasing the brake you are to turn off the engine. As you rotate the key from RUN to OFF you see the dash go dim, the GPS turn off and the engine quit. It looks and sounds “off” but, it is not. You need to turn the key one further “click” counter clockwise. You will see the clock display on the GPS panel go out and there is no other visual indication. If you listen hard you may hear a relay click open behind the dash. You can’t turn it too far because, while it is in neutral, it won’t let you. The steering remains unlocked and the key won’t come out.

• Like 1