Low Gear

Janis

I live on a hill that can be trickey in the winter time. I have always put my vehicals in 2nd gear to go down the hill (Explorer, F-150), Well today I put the Edge into low and I dont think it lilks being in low at all. It reved up the engine so bad, I thought it was going to explode. I was only going 20mpg.

Has anybody else used low gear yet?

I've 'played' with L a little bit. At 45 mph, drop it in L, revs increase but not to an extreme, and as you slow down, it still downshifts about 3 more times on its own. You can feel it some, but you can also watch the tach and tell when it downshifts.

I don't think the computer will let it over rev as I was driving slow once (because someone had to pull out in front of me and then decided to turn on the next street!) I dropped it in L and punched it. It upshifted before I could bump into D.

Depending on your speed and what gear its in (and if its around a shift point), it could really bump up the revs and feel like its about to blow, but I don't think it will. If you were already going down hill and it was in 3rd (low rpms), the speed may have been slow enough for it to go to 1st when you put it in L therefore really increasing the rpms.

Just my uneducated guess.

This is one of my complaints about the Edge. You can't select your gear. But to make due Ford did design it that if you kick it out of over drive and touch the brakes it will down shift through the gears. It doesn't give you complete control, but it is better then nothing. So try kicking it out of OD next time you come down the hill and see if that helps.

Any luck with that?

I thought this was interesting (from the Owner's Manual):

D (Drive) with Overdrive

The normal driving position for the best fuel economy. Transaxle operates in gears one through six.

D (Drive) without Overdrive

Overdrive can be deactivated by pressing the transmission control switch on the side of the gearshift lever.

• Transmission operates in gears one through four.

My original thought was turning the O/D off would take 6th gear out of the mix, but apparently it takes 5th out as well. I didn't notice that dramatic a difference and assumed it was dropping to 5th. Well, we all know what happens when we 'ass'u'me'....

Hey carbonedge+ 5th is 1:1 ratio so maybe they consider that overdrive. It is a large jump in ratio to 6th too. That is probably why the MPG takes a dump when you are in wind or on hills and stays in 5th.

From the Autochannel.com

FORD EDGE

TRANSMISSION

Standard 6-Speed Automatic

Gear Ratios

1st 4.484

2nd 2.872

3rd 1.842

4th 1.414

5th 1.000

6th 0.742

REV -2.882