Diagnostics for recalls/FSAs - who pays if issues aren't related?

My wife's 2011 Edge Sport was left with the dealership today to look into Sync/MFT issues which may have been related to the 12M02 Field Service Action. I dropped the vehicle off after hours and put the keys in their drop box along with a note attached to the keys with the vehicle info on it. I also left a note on the driver's seat describing some/most of the goofy issues we've been experiencing with our MFT/Sync system since we've owned the car (we bought it 2nd hand a year ago). I just got a call from the dealership's service secretary/rep who informed me that none of the issues I listed turned out to be related to the aforementioned FSA regarding the APIM, and continued on to tell me that they didn't have any parts yet (inferring that they were trying to fix all of the issues). I politely stopped her and confirmed that the vehicle was only brought in for any work covered by the FSA, and that I did not have any intentions of having them fix the issues otherwise. The conversation took a sharp turn at this point. I was informed that because the diagnostics completed determined that the issues I listed were not related to the FSA, I was on the hook for $200 worth of shop time for said diagnostics. I clarified and the rep confirmed that if those same diagnostics confirmed that it WAS related to the FSA, then I would not have had to pay for them.

I was trying my best to stay calm and courteous, but this rep was getting increasingly unprofessional and confrontational... we argued back and fourth for about 10 minutes with the rep telling me that my note didn't instruct them NOT to proceed if issues weren't covered by the FSA, so they were forging ahead with fixing them. The fact of the matter is that it was suggested to me to list any of the issues I was having with the MFT/Sync system so that they could more easily do their diagnoses. I didn't ask them to fix all the issues, I asked them to look into the FSA and it's relation to the issues my vehicle was exhibiting.

So, am I wrong for thinking that their diagnostics charges are FORD's responsibility rather than MINE? They had to perform the diagnostics to confirm whether the FSA was applicable or not. Just because the issues (apparently) turned out not to be related to the APIM doesn't mean that all of a sudden I now have to pay to have had them determine that... does it??

I'm going to place a call to Ford's "Customer Support" number and see if that gets me anywhere, but I don't have very high hopes.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to anyone else I could/should contact? Anything else I can do? Or am I just up shit's creek? Or maybe I'm all wrong here and I should just fork over the money...

I do believe diagnostics costs are your responsibility, as they have to be reimbursed for their time. Now, it is up to the dealership to waive such costs, on a voluntary basis. Since the issues were not covered by the FSA, the ball isn't in Ford's court either. Again, it is up to Ford to determine whether they pay or not on such an incident, as a courtesy to their customer.

It IS a risk we run when taking our vehicles in for service. Sorry :(