Install 2-way radio and antenna

I have a new Lincoln MKX and want to install some Motorola commercial radios with antennas. This vehicle is leased, so I want to be minimally invasive with screws and holes.

Anyone installed 2way VHF/UHF antennas on the MKX or Edge? Thoughts and ideas welcomed.

Kim

I have an edge w/ bamr and I dont have much to work with. There isnt a suitable ground plane on mine w/ the bamr. Without the bamr, and without drilling a hole, I think you have much the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using a Diamond NR-770HBNMO on my Expedition for 2M/440. It mounts on an NMO bracket (Diamond) that articulates in four planes. The bracket is a lip mount using three set screws. I have it mounted on the top of the rear hatch door. The antenna does not need the traditional ground plane to operate. SWR specs are perfec and I have no problem whatsoever transmitting or receiving. Not sure what frequencies you will be operating on, however, chances are there is an antenna similar to the Diamond NR-770HBNMO which will cover it. I was leary of an antenna not mounted on the roof/trunk and its ability to perform without a ground plane. No problems at all with the Diamond.

I have recently mounted a MFJ-1734 "thru-the-glass" on my '07 SEL AWD, and it is working great.

I mounted it on the driver side rear window, and have achieved great SWR results on both 2m and 440 bands. I mounted it as far back on the clear glass area as I could, and just above the "belt line" window sill, since I have a relatively low garage in my office and wanted to keep the antenna from getting banged around every day. If you don't have that constraint, mounting it higher up should improve its look-angle. I'm running it with a Kenwood TM-D700A, that puts out 50 watts.

Good luck!

Pete - N4PJL