2012 Ford Edge Backup Camera Blurry Pic On Touchscreen

I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and can help troubleshoot.

Woke up one morning and the backup picture was blurry on the Mytouch touchscreen. Gently wiped off the lens with glass cleaner and soft cloth to no avail. Made sure it stayed dry for a month in case there was condensation in the lens but it is still blurry. The guide works and signals when an object is close....but picture does not look nearly as focused as it did before.

• 3 months later...

I am having the same issue with my 2012 Ford Edge! I am taking it to the dealership this week for numerous reasons.

I purchased the premium extended warranty. Bumper to bumper for 7 years/125000 miles whichever comes first...thank goodness. Currently at 50,000 miles.

(1) It looks like the brake booster issue has hit me (brakes not responding well...car keeps rolling)

(2) Backup camera not clear

(3) Drivers seat makes popping noise when adjusting

(4) Sunroof shade does not close all the way

(5) Front left quarter panel pops out of place in one small spot

Did you find out a reason? I will try to let you know what I find out.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to clean the camera on my 2012 Edge. I removed the camera and sliced the box open with a hacksaw blade. I then removed the circuit board and cleaned the screen under that component. I glued the box back together with silicone. I also took the lenses out and cleaned all(5) of them. It has a very good picture now. I could have paid the $115 on ebay, but I was lucky (and happy) to find the problem.

• Like 2

That makes sense to me Russell. It is blurry as if the outside lens could just be wiped off, but that does not solve the problem. I'm not sure how it got dirty inside all of a sudden, but maybe when I take it apart i will know. Just what kind/brand of silicone did you use? How long ago did you make the repair? Thanks, Frank

IMG_0118_zpsfbqej2yk.jpg

IMG_0124_zps0cfkhhkf.jpg

Much better! Thanks Russell!!

I took the camera apart as suggested by Russell and cleaned the inside lens and screen. I didn't take all the lenses out because they looked to be sealed well. I pried the camera apart with a screwdriver instead of cutting it open. I think it wasn't sealed well and that's where moisture got in with a film on the inside lens.

The little screw holding the camera clip in place was a buger to get out. I think a 7/64 allen wrench could be used to unscrew it from behind. I didn't have a dremel to slot it so I ended up drilling the plastic around the screw a bit til it was able to pop out. I then put it back together with a nut and bolt and lock washer. Probably easiest in the long run anyhow.

Edited by goslats

• 2 weeks later...