ATF oil pump

wwest

I have read somewhere that the Edge's 6F transaxle has a variable displacement ATF oil pump so that fluid doesn't have to be bypassed at high engine RPM but will still supply enough pressure/flow with the engine at idle.

Does anyone know how this was done, which technique?

Obviously this would increase the overall transaxle efficiency somewhat but I suspect that its real purpose is to overcome the throttle lag programmed into the DBW, e-throttle, system in earlier FWD vehicles. The 1-2 second delay was to give the transaxle clutches more time to fully seat with the engine at idle and thereby very little ATF pressure.

Comments?

I have read somewhere that the Edge's 6F transaxle has a variable displacement ATF oil pump so that fluid doesn't have to be bypassed at high engine RPM but will still supply enough pressure/flow with the engine at idle.

Does anyone know how this was done, which technique?

Obviously this would increase the overall transaxle efficiency somewhat but I suspect that its real purpose is to overcome the throttle lag programmed into the DBW, e-throttle, system in earlier FWD vehicles. The 1-2 second delay was to give the transaxle clutches more time to fully seat with the engine at idle and thereby very little ATF pressure.

Comments?

I think you're probably right about performance.

but if you want to get a lot more responses, I bet you'd get a bunch of comments (and maybe someone who even knows the answer offhand or can easily find out) if you posted this over at blueovalforums.