Lincoln's Budget Bling Crossover

Edge Guide

The new Lincoln MKX is too obviously cross-bred with the cheaper Ford Edge. Still, it provides an impressive bling on a budget

Get ready to become sick of the word "crossover." Over the next 12 long months, auto manufacturers left and right will be trotting out so-called crossovers, that is, vehicles based on car platforms but offering sport-utility vehicle proportions and practicality. And though these cars have been around for at least a decade, the buzzword is just getting ready for its 15 minutes of fame.

A duo of crossovers just happens to make up the bulk of Ford Motor's (F) game plan for the next year—the plebeian-priced Ford Edge and the nearly identical if moderately upgraded Lincoln MKX. Though well-powered and well-appointed, the new MKX unfortunately supplies critics with even more ammunition that, as far as the Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln nameplates are concerned, the company is little more than a Johnny-One-Note.

Read the entire article here.

Read the entire article here.

At $46K loaded --save the DVD player-- only a marketer or dealer would call the Edge plebian-priced. I was so ready to trade that I would have taken the first MKX or Edge on my dealer's lot that met my basic needs... AWD, BAMR, SR and Nav.. As it turned out, the Edge had the edge --bolder nose, OK interior, and $8K cheaper. Oh, did I mention that I couldn't find an in-stock MKX that met the basic criteria.

Oh well, after 10-years of sports/muscle car driving, it's a new and different world! I may pine over not holding out for an MKX, but right now, I'm enjoying the heck out of my plebian ride, and have survived the anticipated withdrawal from my :hyper: '04 Cobra!