Dealer replacing Headliner?

I took possession of our Edge Monday and as I was driving away, around a Rotary to be exact, I noticed a small tear up in the Headliner, right above the drivers side about 2" from the pillar. the tear is roughly 1/2" long and was NOT there when I inspected the car on Saturday.

I immediately brought the car back and brought the Sales Manager and the Service Manager out to see it. Upon seeing the tear the Service mgr. said that he would order an entire new liner, and took note of the color and the airbags.

I received a call this AM that the headliner had arrived and they wanted to make an appointment to have it installed. I had thought about this for a few days and now I'm having second thoughts about the dealer installing it!!! The woman in Service when I asked her, stated that my Edge would be the first Edge that they have put a headliner in :banghead: She said they have replaced them in Expedtions before. I told her that I could live with the tear but it had to be noted that this tear was there when we took del. of the car, and I would NOT be charged for and wear and tear when we return the Edge after the lease is up.

I asked her if it could be patched and she stated that it should be able too, but first she would have to see if they could return the headliner w/o a shipping fee. I also asked her if an aftermarket Co. would be installing the headliner and she said maybe. She needs to go over this with the Parts Mgr. as well as the Service Mgr.

I just don't want any problems down the road with a shoddy install. Who knows what could happen when the headliner is taken out and reinstalled. There is alot that has to be taken off for it to be replaced! It may or may not ever be the same, I don't want to be the guinea pig.

So what would you do if you were in my shoes? My wife sees my point too but also says that the tear could get worse if its not patched or replaced, and now that it's there we really notice it. The Service woman told me she'd get back to me by days end with an answer.

I just don't feel comfortable with this work to be done, but I don't want it to cost us $ later on, inc. having to pay for the return shipping if it goes that way??

Thanks, Doug

The headliner isn't really that much, they had to drop it down to fix a rattle in the BAMR, no problems since.
I'm assuming they took down what they needed to, to fix the rattle, what about each and every other piece that the headliner's attached to? The way the Service Dept. sounded apprehensive towards the headliner has me wondering, like they almost want me to just live with it?