After test drive both, Edge or CX-7?

Driving:

CX-7 : Faster acceleration, lower engine rpm, better engine sound, more responsible steering, harder suspension than edge, about the same brake feeling (didn't test 100-0 emergency brake) as edge, maybe Ford improved the brake. Had fun, but is not as much as Mazda3.

Buzzed by the turbo lag. If I step harder, the delay is more obvious, then all of sudden it seems want to jump out and out of control when I was turning which is dangerous.

It's not feel like driving a big vehicle, I can tell from the feeling of width, seating hight, and the acceleration of the cx-7, more like a car, but the behavior is different than a car. I can recall when I just start driving the edge, I felt like the lane is not wide enough and in up hill it's harder to gain more speed, but I didn't have the feeling in cx-7 at all. But my son like the feeling at higher seating position and in a bigger vehicle.

Easier to do a U turn than edge, but experienced turbo lag again. I guess if I drive a lot then I'll get used to it, it just doesn't feel good at present.

Only feels LIKE a sports car, but doesn't have sporty feeling.

Blind point:

CX-7 : Not as somebody described "it's a whole blind point", actually I feel safe when I checked the blind points, no matter highway or city drive, only need one glance.

And I can clearly see the nose, not a problem on parking at all.

Roomy:

CX-7 : About the same head room in driver's seat, but less leg room than Edge.

Back seat is smaller, lower (because the driver's seat is lower) and less leg room.

Rear cargo about the same, but more regular shape, easier to load more stuff. because of the design (no recline back seat), it has an cargo cover option

- edge has the same option, but it shows "N/A" in Canadian web site

Interior:

CX-7 feels like use better material, the plastic is softer, same as other Japenese car, better at refinement, make edge more like hard plastic put together, the joint, the corner and the edge shows the level closer to luxury.

Comfort:

The seat, CX-7 feel hard while Edge feel solid. The difference is when I sit there, the seat in edge is more like holding me and the cx-7 is more like against me.

Dashboard:

Different design, because I'm familiar with Mazda, there's almost no difference between Mazda3 and CX-7 (the one without nav) but I like both.

Operation:

In the way to operate, I like Mazda more. The small things like power window, wiper, lights, etc, Mazda is better. I like to see current shift in dashboard like Mazda, I like to use manumatic like Mazda, but they're minor to me.

Configuration and Cost (In canadian dollar):

Edge: AWD Limited White sand with side rail and remote starter - without BAMR, NAV - financing 60months $725/month $0 down

CX-7: AWD GT White + Luxury Package - include moonroof, without NAV - financing 60months $700/month $0 down

Today's gas price : regular(87) 1.033, premium (91) 1.153

10,000km/year the gas price difference will be 0.15*100*13.1=196.5=$16/month

Insurance premium is about the same, maximum $1 difference per month

I didn't ask about the maintainess expense, but edge offer me free oil change for 3 years.

Hard to make selection.

Edited by douyi

Edge is larger than CX-7. The maintenance costs and repairs will be cheaper with the Edge.

I looked at both as well as the CX-9 and chose the Edge. It uses regular gas and petro Canada does not use Ethanol which robs about 10% in fuel economy. You need to go with your gut feeling. Step away from the search and give it a rest for about a month. Then go back and re examine the vehicles.

How do you figure that? The costs are about the same for me besides gas, and even then it's only a 3 dollars a fill up, which isn't much. The free oil changes are nice too but really not that expensive. Repairs for the EDGE are actually higher.

I'm afraid of the transmission reliability in our EDGE, the hard shifting just started and the dealer can't do a thing about it.

I agree with the lanes not feeling wide enough comment, the EDGE feels a lot bigger than it looks, the opposite for the CX-7.

TrueCosttoOwn on the EDGE is 5,000K more than on the CX-7

Edited by CreamEDGE.

How do you figure that? The costs are about the same for me besides gas, and even then it's only a 3 dollars a fill up, which isn't much. The free oil changes are nice too but really not that expensive. Repairs for the EDGE are actually higher.

I'm afraid of the transmission reliability in our EDGE, the hard shifting just started and the dealer can't do a thing about it.

I agree with the lanes not feeling wide enough comment, the EDGE feels a lot bigger than it looks, the opposite for the CX-7.

TrueCosttoOwn on the EDGE is 5,000K more than on the CX-7

Friend owns an Independant Porsche garage here in Toronto and has access to parts from all over. Ford came out cheaper. (My other car is a Porsche 951).

The tranny is the same as GM ... they went together on the design etc.

Not everyone has access to your guy, who would be replacing things like that anyway

Lets be reasonable here.

We compared replacement parts from his suplier. Ford was cheaper.

BTW ... this is in Canada ... things tend to cost more here ... NAFTA has no tarrifs if country of origin is in North America, hence to lower prices

OP is here in Toronto ...

Still the fact remains that, you shouldn't be replacing much of anything. How big was the gap in the prices anyway?

The CX-7 is cheaper as well so it's money already in your pocket.

I looked a typical parts such as brakes, alternator etc and found it to be about 25% cheaper.

CX-7 outfitted similar to my 08 AWD Limited was $5,000 more at Canadian dealers when researching vehicles ... it's also smaller. Don't know about the states ...

Edited by Jaak in TO

It's cheaper for the OP, 25 dollars a month, not much though.

When I price them online however, the EDGE comes out on top costing much more.

The EDGE is bigger, but the cargo space isn't really all that much bigger(i know, I bought them both to Ikea)

2008 CX-7 GT

Your Total MSRP : $41,445.00

PST : $3,315.60

GST : $2,072.25

with all the options

A/C Excise Tax $100

Destination and Delivery $1,250

TOTAL MSRP $44,449

Delivery Allowance $0

*Total MSRP less

Delivery Allowance $44,449

Lets not even get started on what the CX-7 offers over the EDGE, like HID's, Smartkey, Bose, etc.

Edited by CreamEDGE.

Where did you get your MSRP?

I got it from mazda.ca build and price, I choose Crystal White Pearl, AWD GT with Luxury package plus cargo cover, MSRP is 38,638.10 but purchase total is 45,231.75

MSRP:38,638.10

Freight&PDE:1,390.00

PST:3,202.25

GST:2,001.41

Total:45,231.75

As I remembered, Limited Edge has Bose too, and power lift gate, sync

Edited by douyi

The EDGE has an Audiophile system which sounds awful given the name, the Bose in the CX-7 is better.

So with the CX-7/EDGE prices I got I choice NAVI, I'm guessing you don't want that though.

I don't know how this whole Canadian thing works, but you guys pay through the nose for a car!

Edited by CreamEDGE.

• 2 years later...