20" chrome clad wheels.

Booterr69

I have noticed that the chrome clad wheels are starting to discolor in the corners of the spokes.

I wash my edge about twice a week and the wheels using only blue coral car wash soap and

never used any cleaner on the rims or tires.

Has anyone encountered this problem? I plan on taking it in for an oil change and showing the

service dept.

I would think after spending 35.000 for a limited, the rims should not change colors.

With around 8800 miles this is the only issur I've had so far.

Have EXACTLY the same problem. Reported at 3200 miles. Dealership called yesterday (5 weeks after showing them/digital pictures for Ford rep. review). They got authorization for new/replacements, but the parts/service advisor say, right out of the box they already look like the new units will have the same "problem". Have read on this forum that some dealerships are being told that if customers are willing to wait awhile, new replacements will be forthcoming and have better chrome clad finish. Don't know if this will help you, but I would be willing to wait, if this were the eventual outcome (haven't been offered that alternative just yet; heading in to discuss later this week).

Thanks glc, I haven't had time to take it to the dealer as of yet and it's nice to have some info behind me when I do.

I just hope the newer material is more durable than what's on it now.

i wanted to buy a nice set of chrome wheels, but I said to myself, "self, why do I have to spend about 1 to 2 grand"

We paid 35 grand already.

I have noticed that the chrome clad wheels are starting to discolor in the corners of the spokes.

I wash my edge about twice a week and the wheels using only blue coral car wash soap and

never used any cleaner on the rims or tires.

Has anyone encountered this problem? I plan on taking it in for an oil change and showing the

service dept.

I would think after spending 35.000 for a limited, the rims should not change colors.

With around 8800 miles this is the only issur I've had so far.

Got similar issue with the chrome on 18" chrome clad wheel on my 2007 EDGE (got it in March07).

After the winter (I swap tires last fall but kept the wheels), i figgured it was the salt residue.

I started to clean the corners using the California Gold (red bottle) Chrmome clean/polish. It did great on my chrome Cobra wheels so I said why not.

Was surprised to see som "pitting" already only after 1 winter.

Now thinking about new "summer" wheels but will have to wait.

It is a nightmare to clean but I will make something to fit my rotary tool to help my sore finger...

Marc G

• 4 weeks later...

well I took it to the dealer for the rims and an oil change, they kep it for 3 days and the service manager said ther is nothing they

could do that it was just brake dust and there was nothing they can do. WELL I SAID BULLSH**, I told him I wash it by hand and scrub the rims with a brush. He contacted ford and they told him to take pictures of the rims and to order 4 new rims. He said they will call me when they come in, but it may take a while. In the meantime they cleaned the rims with soft steel wool and alot did come off but in the narrowest part of the spoke near the center of the rim it is tarnished a brownish color. So I'm waiting for the new rims. I wonder how long these will last me.