MKX 07 - Excessive tire wear?

pumpmom

I purchased my used (6K mi) 07 MKX (FWD) in December 07 from a reputable Ford dealership. They had replaced the tires (why didn't I ask why???????????). I've put 9K miles on this car (mostly highway miles), and the front tires are worn to the wear bars. The back ones are fine (although I've had 1 hole in each of the rear tires repaired - LOVE the pressure sensors!!). I had planned to rotate at 10K. It drives like a dream to me, no vibration or shimmy whatsoever. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

I purchased my used (6K mi) 07 MKX (FWD) in December 07 from a reputable Ford dealership. They had replaced the tires (why didn't I ask why???????????). I've put 9K miles on this car (mostly highway miles), and the front tires are worn to the wear bars. The back ones are fine (although I've had 1 hole in each of the rear tires repaired - LOVE the pressure sensors!!). I had planned to rotate at 10K. It drives like a dream to me, no vibration or shimmy whatsoever. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Just curious, what wheels do you have 18" or 20"? Also what tires do you have?

Clayton

Hi pumpmom. :D Several questions: First, where are the tires worn? The outside shoulder? Inside shoulder? Middle of the tread only? Evenly across the entire tread? The answers to these questions are very important as to determining what may be the problem, since it can be caused by a variety of issues. It could be an alignment problem, incorrect tire inflation, etc. etc.

Next: Do you own a tire pressure gauge? What pressure do you keep the tires inflated to? If you do not have a good tire pressure gauge, that is one problem. If you do not know what pressure your tires are inflated to, that is another. The TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is only an "idiot light". It does not give a warning until the pressure has dropped 25% below the manufacturer recommended PSI (it is listed on the sticker on your drivers door jamb). Therefore, on a vehicle that has a 34 PSI recommended pressure, you will not get a warning until the pressure has dropped to approximately 26 PSI. That is already dangerously low and will cause accelerated tire wear. In other words, by the time the TPMS warning light comes on, the damage is already done. Owners must still routinely check and adjust their tire pressure.

Also, the recommended rotation schedule is every 7500 miles (as per the Maintenance Schedule). You should perform it that often, or sooner if you wish, but not extend it to 10,000 miles. Regular tire rotations will extend your tire life. Neglecting tire rotations will shorten the tire life.

Post back with the answers to the above questions, and we will try to help.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi pumpmom. :D Several questions: First, where are the tires worn? The outside shoulder? Inside shoulder? Middle of the tread only? Evenly across the entire tread? The answers to these questions are very important as to determining what may be the problem, since it can be caused by a variety of issues. It could be an alignment problem, incorrect tire inflation, etc. etc.

Next: Do you own a tire pressure gauge? What pressure do you keep the tires inflated to? If you do not have a good tire pressure gauge, that is one problem. If you do not know what pressure your tires are inflated to, that is another. The TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is only an "idiot light". It does not give a warning until the pressure has dropped 25% below the manufacturer recommended PSI (it is listed on the sticker on your drivers door jamb). Therefore, on a vehicle that has a 34 PSI recommended pressure, you will not get a warning until the pressure has dropped to approximately 26 PSI. That is already dangerously low and will cause accelerated tire wear. In other words, by the time the TPMS warning light comes on, the damage is already done. Owners must still routinely check and adjust their tire pressure.

Also, the recommended rotation schedule is every 7500 miles (as per the Maintenance Schedule). You should perform it that often, or sooner if you wish, but not extend it to 10,000 miles. Regular tire rotations will extend your tire life. Neglecting tire rotations will shorten the tire life.

Beerchug - Thanks for this heads up! I have TWO tire guages - (HA! - I've been cruising the forums and felt pretty smug about having a backup, but I see I was taken in by the TPMS being something more than an "idiot light" - DUH!) Both read 30 PSI on the front tires - 35 is recommended. The wear is about the same on both tires, with all wear bars showing except the inner one (3 of 4). Does this sound like underinflation?

Beerchug - Thanks for this heads up! I have TWO tire guages - (HA! - I've been cruising the forums and felt pretty smug about having a backup, but I see I was taken in by the prospects of TPMS being something more than an "idiot light" - DUH!) Both read 30 PSI on the front tires - 35 is recommended. The wear is about the same on both tires, with all wear bars showing except the inner one (3 of 4). Does this sound like underinflation?

Beerchug - Thanks for this heads up! I have TWO tire guages - (HA! - I've been cruising the forums and felt pretty smug about having a backup, but I see I was taken in by the prospects of TPMS being something more than an "idiot light" - DUH!) Both read 30 PSI on the front tires - 35 is recommended. The wear is about the same on both tires, with all wear bars showing except the inner one (3 of 4). Does this sound like underinflation?

Hi pumpmom. :D Well, first you can call me bbf or bbf2530. "Beerchug" is the name of a smiley icon (two smileys clinking glasses of beer) which I inserted, but must not have shown properly. Sounds like a character from "Animal House". :hysterical: Maybe you have your settings set to not show smiley icons?

Now for the important stuff. If your pressure gauge is accurate, then yes, your tires are definitely underinflated. If the recommended pressure on your door sill sticker is 35 (I thought the MKX was 34, but could be wrong), you should have them inflated to at least 35 PSI.

Some tire experts recommend going a pound or two above the auto manufacturers recommendation, as it will give better gas mileage, better handling and longer tire wear, with only a small decrease in ride comfort (most people can not tell the difference in ride comfort). I go two pounds high in my MKZ, the choice is yours. Either way, you are at least 5 PSI low.

In addition, tires pressure should be checked "cold". In other words, in the morning before you have driven more than a half mile or so. Otherwise, you will get a higher reading when the tires heat up from driving. You want the PSI to be at the proper pressure when they are cold, not when they are hot from driving or midday heat.

Concerning the wear bars. First, I am not 100% sure what you mean by "all wear bars showing except the inner one (3 of 4)". The wear bars go laterally across the tread, not around the circumference of the tire. Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you are describing. If I understand you correctly, you are stating that the tires are less worn towards the inside of the tread? Is that correct? If so, it sounds as though your alignment may be a little off. Could be a little too much positive camber, could be the toe is off (or a bit of both). Have it checked.

I also want to reiterate the importance of timely tire rotations. You should perform them at least every 7500 miles (Ford's recommendation), or sooner. I would recommend doing them when you perform your oil changes, which ideally should be every 5000-7500 miles.

If you perform these basic maintenance jobs (maintain proper tire pressure, tire rotations and alignment check) on time, you will be surprised how much longer your tires will last.

Hope this information helps.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi pumpmom. :D Well, first you can call me bbf or bbf2530. "Beerchug" is the name of a smiley icon (two smileys clinking glasses of beer) which I inserted, but must not have shown properly. :hysterical: Maybe you have your settings set to not show smiley icons?

Now for the important stuff. If your pressure gauge is accurate, then yes, your tires are definitely underinflated. If the recommended pressure on your door sill sticker is 35 (I thought the MKX was 34, but could be wrong), you should have them inflated to at least 35 PSI.

Some tire experts recommend going a pound or two above the auto manufacturers recommendation, as it will give better gas mileage, better handling and longer tire wear, with only a small decrease in ride comfort (most people can not tell the difference in ride comfort). I go two pounds high in my MKZ, the choice is yours. Either way, you are at least 5 PSI low.

In addition, tires pressure should be checked "cold". In other words, in the morning before you have driven more than a half mile or so. Otherwise, you will get a higher reading when the tires heat up from driving. You want the PSI to be at the proper pressure when they are cold, not when they are hot from driving or midday heat.

Concerning the wear bars. First, I am not 100% sure what you mean by "all wear bars showing except the inner one (3 of 4)". The wear bars go laterally across the tread, not around the circumference of the tire. Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you are describing. If I understand you correctly, you are stating that the tires are less worn towards the inside of the tread. It sounds as though your alignment may be a little off. Could be a little too much positive camber, could be the toe is off (or a bit of both). Have it checked.

I just also want to reiterate the importance of timely tire rotations. You should perform them at least every 7500 miles (Ford's recommendation), or sooner. I would recommend doing them when you perform you oil changes, which should be done every 5000-7500 miles.

If you perform these basic maintenance jobs on time, you will be surprised how much longer your tires will last.

Hope this information helps.

Dear bbf: You've been very helpful. I'm taking it in for an alignment check and rotation tomorrow and will air up before I go. This experience and your advice have made me a true believer in timely rotation. Thanks for the lesson! BTW, "beerchug" shows up on the "quote" in the reply process instead of icons. Since I'd seen the icon on the post, I just assumed that was your screen name. Have a great day!

Dear bbf: You've been very helpful. I'm taking it in for an alignment check and rotation tomorrow and will air up before I go. This experience and your advice have made me a true believer in timely rotation. Thanks for the lesson! BTW, "beerchug" shows up on the "quote" in the reply process instead of icons. Since I'd seen the icon on the post, I just assumed that was your screen name. Have a great day!

Dear bbf: Sorry, I missed your point about the wear bars. Yes, understanding the location of the wear bars, the wear bar that is nearest the inside of the tire (toward the engine) CANNOT be felt without sticking my finger inside the tread. So, it sounds likely that it may be an alignment problem.

Again, thanks!

Hi pumpmom. :D Yes, sorry about that addition to the post. I must have been editing while you were reading.

Anyway, you are very welcome! Glad I was able to help (and able to explain things somewhat coherently)!

Yes, I figured the "beerchug" thing was probably some quirk in the display or settings. Had to give up chugging beer many years ago!

Best of luck!

Edited by bbf2530