Just bought a boat, question

Hello everyone, this is my first post. So do you guys think I am being dangerous towing with the MKX, its a FWD. The boat is 3400lbs, maybe 3500lbs right at the limit of the MKX. We dont have the towing pkg, but all I can see it come with is a very slightly larger radiator and larger battery and alternator and class 1 hitch, we added a class II 3500 hitch and wiring. We have been using it to tow our jetski's (2000lbs total) with no issue. WE bought a new Crownline boat yesterday and towed it home about 40 miles. It did OK but.....

We still have 12 months left on our 24 month lease. I dont want to have to add a 5th vehicle / insurance for the next year, or get hosed trading in a lease 12 months early. But I dont want to be a danger to my wife and I or others on the road either! We also need to be sure we can get it back up a boat launch. Do you guys know if Ford or LM are having any rebates or lease pull ahead on the F150/Mark LT or Explorer/Mountaineer?

Thanks,

Chuck P

• 10 months later...
Hello everyone, this is my first post. So do you guys think I am being dangerous towing with the MKX, its a FWD. The boat is 3400lbs, maybe 3500lbs right at the limit of the MKX. We dont have the towing pkg, but all I can see it come with is a very slightly larger radiator and larger battery and alternator and class 1 hitch, we added a class II 3500 hitch and wiring. We have been using it to tow our jetski's (2000lbs total) with no issue. WE bought a new Crownline boat yesterday and towed it home about 40 miles. It did OK but.....

We still have 12 months left on our 24 month lease. I dont want to have to add a 5th vehicle / insurance for the next year, or get hosed trading in a lease 12 months early. But I dont want to be a danger to my wife and I or others on the road either! We also need to be sure we can get it back up a boat launch. Do you guys know if Ford or LM are having any rebates or lease pull ahead on the F150/Mark LT or Explorer/Mountaineer?

Thanks,

Chuck P

I have towed for years and have the following concerns when setting up a new configuration. When looking at a 3500lb boat/trailer combo plus fuel and toys or equipment, my first concern would be to ensure that the trailer has brakes. This puts the fear of the boat pushing the vehicle, especially on wet pavement, somewhat aside. Next, I would check specs to see what the transmission is capable of and if a transmission cooler is installed in the vehicle. The cost of installing a cooler is reasable when you compare it to potentially replacing the transmission due to constant overheating. Another item going forward, keep an eye on vehicle brakes. They will wear quicker if you tow a considerable amount. Don't purchase a used vehicle with a trailer hitch and no transmission cooler.

Regards,

mick4406