Deflector - can I change my mind?

I hear that holes need to be drilled into the hood, not sure how that works, but I would imagine they would be drilled underneath the hood. Does this mean that I can still change my mind about the bug shield I just added?

I'm not sure what to do. I know that as soon as I saw the bug shield and side window deflectors of AVS brand, that I did not like them. They were already installed. I told the guy at the auto store that I didn't like them and if could please order the ones I had asked for in the first place - the Edge ones. He said he would do that for me....except, I'm afraid that the Edge will will have different holes and they will have to make new ones and also that the side deflectors which have this thick and ugly edge on top that is the part that sticks to the edge of the window trim will not be easily taken off. I don't even remember it looking this way on any other cars I have had. Is this normal? The thick edge that is glued on to the car?

Can someone post close ups of their side deflectors that are not AVS?

Thanks. I was really not satisfied and hope it doesn't ruin my car to swap them out. I will try and take some pictures of it tonight with the AVS shields on it.

Andry

yep... there will be holes.. and not sure, but rather unlikely, that the now existing holes for the AVS will line up with the holes for the Ford one you want to install. The holes are/will be up under the lip of the hood edge.

I would not worry about it to much. BUT, best thing would be to make sure the old holes (and new for that matter) are primed and - if possible - painted with something like color matching touch up paint. At least primed over at a minimum. You could even seal them with silicon to keep moisture out. Once they drill the hood holes, that will expose raw metal that was painted and opens a hole into an area that if water gets into and sits, just breads trouble. So, best practice would be to drill, prime, paint, seal with like silicon before bolt on. In your case, ask them to do that or just verify it has been done as I doubt the install shop will prime the holes over to keep from having raw exposed metal hole edges - they will likely just drill and mount. it is the long term issue of moisture and exposed metal you want to consider when drilling into the the body. probably nothing will happen over time, but depending on where you live and climate, it could turn into a bad deal over years and years.

if you decide you do not like it.. no worries as you could, as I said before, just be sure the holes are primed, painted and sealed (with silicon or rubber plugs from like Home Depot or auto parts store) if you decide to remove the deflector.

I installed a deflector that I purchased at the local Ford Dealer. It was easy to install and looks really nice! Have another person hold one end of the deflector and mark the holes to be drilled. Use a drill "stopper" 1/8 of an inch so that when you go through the first layer of the hood "lip" the drill won't jump into the next layer of the lip (which is the hood underside).