But it was just an alignment.....?

enigma-2

Took my 2009 MKX in today for 4-wheel alignment (occasionally drifts to the right) and oil change.

Soooooo sitting in the waiting room drinking a cold one and watching a tripple X flix (OK, that may be a slight exaggeration),  and the service rep comes in and ...... pulls up a chair.

Uh huh, that's the signal that they found something over $1000 and I'll be walking home.

Yup, needs a new tie rod and (wait for it) the PTU was puking black goo out the top. Sure sign the bearing is shot and overheating lubricant. Very common. Second one this month for this dealer. (Last month they had one that threw gears and broke the transmission housing). No way to fix (they have no approved process to rebuild), and replacment is only fix.

Next he asks if I know what this means uh, "yes Pat, I'd live to solve the puzzle..."  Little over $1,700 to replace. Add $300 for tie rod and alignment.

And (drum roll) it's all covered under warranty.  100%. Plus they gave me a 2018 F-150 as a loaner until my little beauty is done. (Still gotta pay for the oil change though). Wonder if I can squeeze a free car wash out of them when its done?

Talking to the service rep (who was a Ford mechanic for several years) said the only thing you can do is a pump and dump (change the fluid occasionally). Just a poor design in the Gen 1's.

Also talked about water pumps, he see's them starting to fail around 100k and going as long as 200k. Felt 130k was a good point to replace one as a preemptive move. I was considering 150k and he feels thats too risky. Changing the coolant from green to gold helps by preventing cavication, but only up to a point. They drop the engine/transmission to change. They tried the Ford procedure by flattening the left tire and going in through the hood and had to do it a second time when the silicone seal on the cover failed. Much easier and better results to drop the engine. 

Now to see what this F-150 can do. Man, is it made cheap inside. Plain Jane and no extras. Great engine however. Full back seat, great room front and back. Sits sixteen (if you count throwing a family of refugees in the bed). What?

• Like 3