Sluggish Gas Gage

hafferf

Hello Everyone; :shades:

I am a newbie to this forum with a concern over my Fuel Gauge. I just purchased my Edge two weeks ago, and thus far my only problem is the gauge. I filled it up last time and the needle didn't move till 117 miles. generally it has just about reached 3/4 at that point. Could the attendant filled it too full? and now the sender is damaged?... I guess I'll waltz down to my local dealer and find out. Other than that, I am overjoyed with this vehicle. it's an 2008 SEL FWD with the Vista Roof. Vapour Mist CC Metalic and Black Leather interior. Best of both worlds (not a SUV nor a car)

Than you for any replies

Drive On !!... :rockon:

Fast Freddie

post-4144-1215278100_thumb.jpg

Edited by hafferf

wow... where do you live where there are still an "attendant filled it too full".. I have not seen a Full Service gas station in years :)

anyway.. in past cars I have worked on.. there are 3 key parts to fuel gauge working. (1) the float sending unit in the tank. they can be bad. (2) the float being grounded. if it is not grounded, you will get whacky or no readings. (3) the in dash gauge. RARELY have I seen it be the gauge. More times than not, we tracked it down to a bad ground for the float and sometimes to a bad float in the tank. Either way, what you mention is not right and even if over filled, that would not trigger a first reaction until 117 miles.

welcome!

Are you filling the tank with the car completely off? Or do you leave it running or in the ON position?

Thank you Lex and Akirby for your replies. :shades:

The car is shut off naturally...I don't plan on meeting my maker for awhile yet. And yeah Lex...your music does have a "motivational beat" Too intense for an Old Fart like me... Otherwise...I am well pleased with evrything else about my edge.

Thanks Again Fellas

Drive On !!... :rockon:

• 4 weeks later...
The first tank fill up on my 2008 MKX did the same thing, it now has 3000 miles and I have not seen it happen again.

Thank you hjl1949 for your reply :shades:

My gauge just keeps goofing up. Sometimes it takes 145 miles to leave the "full" mark...other times as little 39. Sometimes it will get down between "3/4 and full", and then pop bacl up to the "full" mark again. :banghead: I need to find time to take it in. But when it's (currently) my only wheels...finding the time can be difficult. :wacko:

Thanks again for the reply

Drive On :rockon:

Fast Freddie

Thank you hjl1949 for your reply :shades:

My gauge just keeps goofing up. Sometimes it takes 145 miles to leave the "full" mark...other times as little 39. Sometimes it will get down between "3/4 and full", and then pop bacl up to the "full" mark again. :banghead: I need to find time to take it in. But when it's (currently) my only wheels...finding the time can be difficult. :wacko:

Thanks again for the reply

Drive On :rockon:

Fast Freddie

Did you ask the dealer about a loaner? Most will offer one during the first 12 months. At least mine does.

• 2 months later...