2008 Ford Edge SYNC With iPhone 8 Plus

Hi folks, I haven't posted in a long time, I've always found this forum to be so helpful and I'm hoping that someone out there can once again give me a helping hand with some annoying issues. I used an iPhone 4S running iOS 7.1.2 for many years with the Ford SYNC in my 2008 Ford Edge and it just worked flawlessly. It never once gave me a  problem.  

I just upgraded to an iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 12.2 and my phone connects via Bluetooth to the vehicle fine, that was the easy part. But I didn't realize that there were going to so many  issues afterward. I don't know if I have this correct or not but I went into system settings to get the Ford SYNC version or "autoversion" number as it is called in the manual and I see 5 8 08351_5P> (there is an arrow at the end of the number which I thought may scroll to something else but it doesn't).  Hopefully, that is the Ford SYNC version I'm running. I have no idea of how to download or install a newer version if there is one. 

Ford SYNC automatically starts playing music on my new iPhone when I turn the vehicle on which is OK by me, that's what my old iPhone did. But the problem I have is that my iPhone 8 Plus never remembers the last song it played like my old iPhone did. Ford SYNC always picks a new song at random from a different playlist every time. Plus (and this is the real annoying part) it shuffles all of the playlists on top of it all (no matter which playlist it's on). And I haven't told it to do any of this, it just does it by itself as soon as I connect to Ford SYNC. My iPhone 8 Plus plays music perfectly through headphones or through a stereo system. None of these issues are present at all except when the iPhone 8 Plus is connected to Ford SYNC via Bluetooth. It would be nice to get into the vehicle and have it start playing a song and continue on through the rest of the songs in the same playlist but that doesn't happen.  Everything is randomized/shuffled. It is so unbelievably annoying, distracting to say the least because I have to pull over and manually choose a playlist and turn shuffle off.

The other issue I have is with call volume. When I place or receive a phone call through Ford SYNC with my iPhone 8 Plus, the volume is much much lower than it was with my old iPhone 4S. I have to crank the volume up to 10 to hear who I'm talking to. 

Anybody else out there with an older Ford Edge who had this much frustration with upgrading to a new iPhone and using it with Ford SYNC? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. 

Edit: I checked owner.ford.com and the last confirmed update on my vehicle was version 1.3, it tells me that this is the latest update. I don't understand why I can't install version 2?

Edited by michaelfriesen
Add correct version number