TSB About Pull/Drag To Right Not Covered Under Warranty

I recently bought a used 2007 Ford Edge SEL and noticed that it has a hard pull to the right. An alignment was done and tire pressure is the same on all 4 tires and it still pulls to the right. I went to the dealership with the TSB I found here that addresses the Pull/Drift to the right and was told I would have to pay ($200) to have it fixed as it was not covered under the Bumper to Bumper Warranty. They said that this work is only covered under the provisional warranty of 12 month 12k miles. My question is why would this not be covered if it is a known issue from factory? Their answer to this was "this type of work is considered part of an alignment and only covered for 12 month 12k miles". SO my next question is if this is covered under an alignment, can I pay for the alignment and they will fix it then for the cost of an alignment, the answer was no. :banghead:

So if anyone who has had this problem or has a suggestion please reply.

Take it back to the place that did the alignment to see if they can fix it. Show them the TSB. They may be able to do it for less than the dealership. It is not covered by the Ford warranty. 12/12.

The presence of a TSB does not always imply that Ford will pay for the repair. Just tells the tech how to fix it.

Take it back to the place that did the alignment to see if they can fix it. Show them the TSB. They may be able to do it for less than the dealership. It is not covered by the Ford warranty. 12/12.

The presence of a TSB does not always imply that Ford will pay for the repair. Just tells the tech how to fix it.

You would think that if it is a known problem for some Edges from the factory, that it would be covered under the full factory warranty, and not the provisional warranty. I guess not...

You would think that if it is a known problem for some Edges from the factory, that it would be covered under the full factory warranty, and not the provisional warranty. I guess not...

Hi johnsonak. :D First: Did you receive any type of mechanical/driveability Warranty from the Dealer where you purchased your Edge? If you did, they should cover this repair themselves (the Dealer, not Ford). If you did receive a mechanical/driveability Warranty from the Dealer (6 months, 12 months, whatever), they should repair this problem on their dime. If you have a mechanical/driveability Warranty, the only way they legitimately have to get out of the repair would be to claim the vehicle was fine when you purchased it, but you did something to knock it out of alignment after the purchase.

Next, to answer your question as to why Ford will not cover this type of problem. The reason for this policy (12 months/12,000 miles) is as follows:

If an owner (or in this case, the previous owner) does not bring their vehicle in during the first year or 12,000 miles to complain about this "Pulling" problem, it can safely be assumed that they did not have the "Pull" problem from the factory. Not all Edges have the problem (in fact most do not).

After 1 year/12,000 miles, alignments are considered a regular maintenance item. The same as oil changes, tire rotations, windshield wiper replacements, filter changes etc etc. Ford is not responsible for regular maintenance items, unless you purchase an ESP (Extended Service Plan) that covers regular maintenance.

Many drivers are not aware that they should normally have their alignment checked once a year, not just after they notice a problem (although that is what many of us do).

So essentially, if we did not notice a "Pulling" problem in the first year/12,000 miles, it is assumed that there was no problem from the factory. And if there was no problem from the factory, the TSB does not apply to the situation. After that, since Alignments are a regular maintenance item and not covered under the "Bumper to Bumper Warranty" after 1 year/12,000 miles, we are on our own.

After all, most causes of alignment problems after a year are usually driver/road hazard/road impact related. And while it would be nice to have everything covered by the Auto Manufacturers, we can't realistically expect them to fix our cars because we hit potholes, curbs, etc etc. Heck, in this case the pulling problem could have been caused by the previous owner hitting something. Certainly not Ford's fault.

I hope my explanation is not too confusing.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi johnsonak. :D First: Did you receive any type of mechanical/driveability Warranty from the Dealer where you purchased your Edge? If you did, they should cover this repair themselves (the Dealer, not Ford). If you did receive a mechanical/driveability Warranty from the Dealer (6 months, 12 months, whatever), they should repair this problem on their dime. If you have a mechanical/driveability Warranty, the only way they legitimately have to get out of the repair would be to claim the vehicle was fine when you purchased it, but you did something to knock it out of alignment after the purchase.

Next, to answer your question as to why Ford will not cover this type of problem. The reason for this policy (12 months/12,000 miles) is as follows:

If an owner (or in this case, the previous owner) does not bring their vehicle in during the first year or 12,000 miles to complain about this "Pulling" problem, it can safely be assumed that they did not have the "Pull" problem from the factory. Not all Edges have the problem (in fact most do not).

After 1 year/12,000 miles, alignments are considered a regular maintenance item. The same as oil changes, tire rotations, windshield wiper replacements, filter changes etc etc. Ford is not responsible for regular maintenance items, unless you purchase an ESP (Extended Service Plan) that covers regular maintenance.

Many drivers are not aware that they should normally have their alignment checked once a year, not just after they notice a problem (although that is what many of us do).

So essentially, if we did not notice a "Pulling" problem in the first year/12,000 miles, it is assumed that there was no problem from the factory. And if there was no problem from the factory, the TSB does not apply to the situation. After that, since Alignments are a regular maintenance item and not covered under the "Bumper to Bumper Warranty" after 1 year/12,000 miles, we are on our own.

After all, most causes of alignment problems after a year are usually driver/road hazard/road impact related. And while it would be nice to have everything covered by the Auto Manufacturers, we can't realistically expect them to fix our cars because we hit potholes, curbs, etc etc. Heck, in this case the pulling problem could have been caused by the previous owner hitting something. Certainly not Ford's fault.

I hope my explanation is not too confusing.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks for the reply, I guess the previous owner did not do much maintenance. The only reason why I asked is that it is within the alignment specs, tires are fine. The TSB specifically states that the strut plates be rotated 180 degrees (and replace the lock bolts) to fix it because of improper installation, and that it is done only if the vehicle checks out perfectly per the alignment check (which it did). I get what your saying and know it is too late to get it fixed under warranty. Its just depressing that I have purchased a vehicle 2 weeks ago and have to pay 200 dollars already to get it driving like it should. I got it from a Mercury dealership and didn't get a driveability warranty, just the remainder of the factory warranty.

Edited by johnsonak

Thanks for the reply, I guess the previous owner did not do much maintenance. The only reason why I asked is that it is within the alignment specs, tires are fine. The TSB specifically states that the strut plates be rotated 180 degrees (and replace the lock bolts) to fix it because of improper installation, and that it is done only if the vehicle checks out perfectly per the alignment check (which it did). I get what your saying and know it is too late to get it fixed under warranty. Its just depressing that I have purchased a vehicle 2 weeks ago and have to pay 200 dollars already to get it driving like it should. I got it from a Mercury dealership and didn't get a driveability warranty, just the remainder of the factory warranty.

UGGHHH! I'm bringing my 07 edge in on Friday. The dealership didn't want to help me. I baught it two weeks ago!!!!! They told me that ALL cars pull to the right when driving down the road!!!!! The owner of the dealership even YELLED at me! I felt validated after I asked the service tech to check the tsb. The only way I knew to ASK for the TSB was this GREAT forum!

I will be EXTREMELY upset if the dealership actually charges me for this work. In fact-I pointed out that the car had ONE bald tire when it was sitting on the lot. They replaced it & told me that it was because the previous owner didn't inflate the tires properly!!!! I should have known better.

UGGHHH! I'm bringing my 07 edge in on Friday. The dealership didn't want to help me. I baught it two weeks ago!!!!! They told me that ALL cars pull to the right when driving down the road!!!!! The owner of the dealership even YELLED at me! I felt validated after I asked the service tech to check the tsb. The only way I knew to ASK for the TSB was this GREAT forum!

I will be EXTREMELY upset if the dealership actually charges me for this work. In fact-I pointed out that the car had ONE bald tire when it was sitting on the lot. They replaced it & told me that it was because the previous owner didn't inflate the tires properly!!!! I should have known better.

FWIW, At 7000 miles, a local dealer (not the one I bought from) used TSB 08-7-3 to fix my 'pull to the right'. I only had the basic warranty. At first the alignment would not work. They rotated the tires and tried again successfully. In doing so they tore the chrome clad wheel cover because they said there was virtually nothing to grab on to. They were replacing the wheels anyway due to 'clicking when turning. under another TSB.