Towing another car??

So I'm getting out of the military and moving from Cali back to Ohio. The Marines will not pay to ship either my car (03 Tiburon) or my wife's Edge. So instead of us driving seperate for 3 days, I was looking at towing mine with hers. Here's the problems: My car weighs in at about 3000 lbs., and the trailer dolly from Uhaul says weighs 650. Which puts us over 3500 lbs. by 150 or so. Is the 3500 rating for the Edge itself, or for the hitches most commonly installed? If we went ahead and towed it anyways, besides breaks, what's the weakest link on the Edge that I should look out for?? If we do decide to go this route, I will probably end up buying a trans cooler, so I'm not worried about that. I just really don't trust my heavily modified car to a shipping company, not to mention it's gonna cost over a grand to ship it. Thanks in advance.

The brakes are probably your next weakest link. Does the trairler dolly have brakes or is there a way to utilize the cars brakes? The motor and trans will probably do fine. We have towed with ours from LA to Vegas and LA to Sacramento and have really worked it hard with no overheating probs or anything. Just be extra carefull to giver plenty of rorom to stop. Even what may seem too much space. Its the person who cuts in on you while your stopping that limits the ability. Remember also that if anything were to happen, you would be liable for exceding the tow rating of the vehicle. Obviously 100lbs or so probably wouldnt matter but just be aware. (Personally I think it will be fine)

Did the Edge come with the towing package? If not I would seriously look into the tranny cooler.

Also, what will the cost savings really be by towing it rather then shipping it? Say you tow it, $300 for a hitch, $200 for a tranny cooler and your half way there to the $1000 to ship it.

Then think of the reduction in MPG. You will probably get in the mid to low teens depending on how you drive. Say your Edge gets 25 mpg, at $3.80 per gallon of gas and driving 2000 miles thats $304 in gas. Now say you are pulling your other car. Say you are averaging 16 mpg at the same $3.80 per gallon and 2000 miles, that's $475 in gas. So basically $170 more in gas. So now your almost at $700 into a $1000 shipping bill.

Have you also thought about extra engine cooling? If you don't have the tow package, you don't have the H.D. radiator. You will be pulling a maxed out load, A/C on, up and down mountains. So turn up the radio, roll the windows down, and move over to the slow lane.

Also, have you ever driven cross country in a vehicle that is maxed out in towing capability and most likely cargo as well. IT SUCKS!!! I've done it once, and never again. It takes you longer to get any where you want to go. In the mountains the semi's will be passing you. If you just have the single vehicle it's much more enjoyable trip.

My vote would be to ship the Edge and drive the Tiburon. Unless it's heavily modded, it gets a few MPGs better then the Edge. Then pack the Edge full of your stuff, and then find a good shipping company to haul the Edge to Ohio for you. Then take a nice relaxing 3 day trip from Cali to Ohio.

Did the Edge come with the towing package? If not I would seriously look into the tranny cooler.

Also, what will the cost savings really be by towing it rather then shipping it? Say you tow it, $300 for a hitch, $200 for a tranny cooler and your half way there to the $1000 to ship it.

Then think of the reduction in MPG. You will probably get in the mid to low teens depending on how you drive. Say your Edge gets 25 mpg, at $3.80 per gallon of gas and driving 2000 miles thats $304 in gas. Now say you are pulling your other car. Say you are averaging 16 mpg at the same $3.80 per gallon and 2000 miles, that's $475 in gas. So basically $170 more in gas. So now your almost at $700 into a $1000 shipping bill.

Have you also thought about extra engine cooling? If you don't have the tow package, you don't have the H.D. radiator. You will be pulling a maxed out load, A/C on, up and down mountains. So turn up the radio, roll the windows down, and move over to the slow lane.

Also, have you ever driven cross country in a vehicle that is maxed out in towing capability and most likely cargo as well. IT SUCKS!!! I've done it once, and never again. It takes you longer to get any where you want to go. In the mountains the semi's will be passing you. If you just have the single vehicle it's much more enjoyable trip.

My vote would be to ship the Edge and drive the Tiburon. Unless it's heavily modded, it gets a few MPGs better then the Edge. Then pack the Edge full of your stuff, and then find a good shipping company to haul the Edge to Ohio for you. Then take a nice relaxing 3 day trip from Cali to Ohio.

I went out and looked at her car yesterday. It appears to have a tranny cooler in front of the radiator. SO I don't know if she has a "tow package" minus the hitch or what's goin on. As far as driving the Tiburon, we've done it twice already. And that was on the stock suspension (i'm on full coilovers now so it's a lot more "harsh"), and even if I stayed out of boost cruising I would still probably only get about 19-20 mpg with the other mods. I really don't trust a shipping company to ship her, that's why I wanted to tow it. And as far as gas, the Marines will be paying me back so I'm not too, too concerned with the loss of mileage. It'll still be cheaper (I think) in the long run. We'll see. I'm still doing my research and crunchin some numbers.

There is no way in hell I would tow another car through the mountains with my Edge. I also have a F250 with a V-10 and it has a hell of time towing in the mountains. I would bet with the edge you would be lucky to hit 35mph going up a hill. But like the others said the brakes are the biggest thing and you will undoubtedly kill them with a trip through the mountains.

Just one question is yours and you wife's life worth more than $1k if so don't tow it. Also don't just think of your lives but you could possibly put others on the road in danger.

Also you said your weight would be over the 3500k limit. If you do have an accident your insurance will most likely not cover it since you were over weight. Also if the police see it and decide to check you there are ticket complications to worry about.

Edited by jpeckinp

There are not only ticket complications, but if you get some a$$hole of an officer, they could actually not let you continue on your travels until the over weight problem is taken care of. In other words, unhook the car from the Edge before he lets you leave.

Another thing, if you are renting a car dolly from U-haul, the one that I rented from there didn't have any surge brakes. Plus they will usually ask you what type of vehicle you are towing with and what you are towing and then when they type it into the computer it will most likely say no.

Also, since your Tiburon is on coil overs it might not fit onto the dolly. My parents pull their 2002 Buick Regal on a dolly behind their Winnebago motorhome and the rear valance is only about 6" off the ground. So I assume that the Tib... is lower then a stock Buick Regal and you will most likely get your own body damage. Going down the road will be fine, but think about pulling into gas stations, hotels, and restuarants. As the Edge back end goes up, the back end of the Tib... will go down. Also, some states require brake lights a certain distance from the rear of a vehicle, so the lights on a dolly are too far forward. So you may have to rent or buy some magnetic lights to stick on the rear of the Tib... and they are really good on paint :banghead:

Just remember, all these suggestions are coming from Edge owners. And not sure about everybody else, but I have used my Edge for pulling a little bit. I have a Jet Boat that I pull with my Edge. It weighs in around 2400# when I get ready to go to the lake. The Edge handles it good, but I can't imagine adding another 1000# plus behind.

Edited by IZZYAZ

I went out and looked at her car yesterday. It appears to have a tranny cooler in front of the radiator. SO I don't know if she has a "tow package" minus the hitch or what's goin on. As far as driving the Tiburon, we've done it twice already. And that was on the stock suspension (i'm on full coilovers now so it's a lot more "harsh"), and even if I stayed out of boost cruising I would still probably only get about 19-20 mpg with the other mods. I really don't trust a shipping company to ship her, that's why I wanted to tow it. And as far as gas, the Marines will be paying me back so I'm not too, too concerned with the loss of mileage. It'll still be cheaper (I think) in the long run. We'll see. I'm still doing my research and crunchin some numbers.

All Edges have tranny coolers - the towing package adds an oil cooler.

Class II Trailer Tow Package: Class II receiver hitch, engine oil cooler, larger radiator, upgraded battery and cooling fans, wiring harness and 4-pin connector.

My bad, your correct Akirby. Above is what the tow package adds. I guess I have always ordered vehicles with the tow package, so I assumed that the tranny cooler is an add on.

Class II Trailer Tow Package: Class II receiver hitch, engine oil cooler, larger radiator, upgraded battery and cooling fans, wiring harness and 4-pin connector.

My bad, your correct Akirby. Above is what the tow package adds. I guess I have always ordered vehicles with the tow package, so I assumed that the tranny cooler is an add on.

I think it used to be part of the towing packages but they've started putting them on all vehicles to extend transmission life.

Alright. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I had thought about some of the things that were brought up, others I had not. Like how low she sits and having the rear end probably hit stuff. Totally overlooked that one. Thanks for pointing it out. I might just see if I can get around the Marines. Iraq definetely blew my knees to hell, so I'm gonna see if I can get a doc to sign off and say I wouldn't be able to drive my car with the heavy a$$ clutch across country. If they will, then I can get it shipped for free. If not, I'm just gonna have to suck it up and pay to have it shipped. Has anyone had any experience with shipping cars? Does the shipping company insure them if they damage it, cuz my insurance def doesn't cover all of my aftermarket mods.

But again, thanks for all the advice.

I know a few people who have relocated across country both way for work and use Reliable Carriers. They deliver to your house or you can pick up from their hub. Insured and all. Very "reliable" if you don't go with some fly by night company. I have also seen some old retired couples with big diesel pickup trucks who haul stufff on flatbeds and tour the country that way.

I know a few people who have relocated across country both way for work and use Reliable Carriers. They deliver to your house or you can pick up from their hub. Insured and all. Very "reliable" if you don't go with some fly by night company. I have also seen some old retired couples with big diesel pickup trucks who haul stufff on flatbeds and tour the country that way.

Reliable Carriers is a good way to go. Another place to check into is the BBB (Better Buisness Bureau). Then you can look up local carriers in Cali or Ohio.

Another thing to try is ask around the base. There has to be a couple people around there that have had vehicles shipped. Find out who they are and what they thought about their services.

Or when driving down the freeway, take a look around. Write down the name of some auto carriers you see. Look them up on the internet and get a price.

Also, I have a guy I work with that has a relative that does what 818EDGE talked about. He is a widower with a daughter that lives in Cali. He drives out there a couple times a year with his goose-neck flat bed trailer. He would be the cheaper way to go, but you would have to have it done on his schedule. The guy I work with moved from Iowa to Arizona. He had a 51 Ford Panel truck that he shipped down to AZ. He had to wait for the guy to get a few other items to haul, but had his panel truck in 2 months. So if you can wait that long that may be an option too.

What ever you do, get a reputible company. I have heard some horror stories of people shipping cars and then getting a call from a guy saying I have your car, if you want it, give me another $300. Not trying to scare you, just do your research.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm on a Porsche Forum as well (I have one), I have copied some responses from users of car transporters for their porsches:

Jaak

********************************************************************************

1. Demoise Trucking, Bill and his brother Larry are the best value I could find, more expensive than DAS yes, but you're getting horseless carriage level of service and they know how to handle porsches, transport for PCNA. Impeccable service for me when I just shipped my car back east.

The biggest things to me are how the cars are strapped down, and whether your shipper underpromises and overdelivers or vice versa. Many shippers will tell you they strap down through the wheels or even on the "Axles" which really means suspension members. One will mar your wheels beyond belief and the other can simply destroy a 911s handling permanently. Demoise and other shippers who specialize in sports cars will strap around the tire's circumference, which is the safest way by far.

On top of that, DeMoise is a real family outfit, has real integrity. There is a lot of value in the premium you pay, and considering the prices charged by shippers offering similar levels of service they are comparatively inexpensive. Insured, enclosed, safe. If this is your car, give them a call, can't recommend them enough.

2. I'll second the vote for giving Bill DeMoise a call. Competitive pricing and closed carrier. Just used DeMoise in December to transport my 993 from TX to MI. Open transport wasn't an option.

3. I just used DeMoise to transport my 928 from Los Angeles to Atlanta and was very happy with their service and pricing. They picked up the car four days after the arrangements were made and delivered the car to me in Atlanta just five days after that - and this was over Thanksgiving. Excellent service and both the driver and dispatcher stayed in constant contact with me for the trip. My 928 arrived in perfect condition, no worries whatsoever. I'd highly recommend them.

http://www.demoise.com/

4. I had a similar experience as Mark did but with Intercity. Only negative is that they will move the cars around ocassionally and on more than one ocasion I've heard people complain of dead battery by the time the car arrives to you. I had this problem as well, otherwise they were great.

I wouldn't recommend DAS, I and many others have had bad experiences with them.

5. My GTS was just shipped via Intercity with fantastic results. I have personally used them, Exotic Car Transport and Thomas C. Sunday all with good results. I have also used VIP Transport, they tie the cars down with chains over the axles. 6 months after I got the car I replaced the left rear axle! Whatever you do, do NOT use VIP or DAS. DAS is a broker and they will take your car to an impound lot or a wrecking yard until they find a truck for it. Depending on how far they haul it, the car may end up in several impund lots b/f you see it.

Make sure that any carrier you use ties the cars down with straps over the tires!

Hope this helps.