2011 Edge 2 WD low whine from power steering

Tim s

I’ll try to make this short. Our Edge has been a great car. Took it in for an oil change at my regular mechanic. He said power steering hose leaking. Had hose replaced. After replacement an audible whine developed (immediate) when the steering wheel is turned left or right. It’s not super loud, but you can hear it inside and out, and it is an annoyance. Brought car back to mechanic. He tried flushing the system with no improvement. Then he replaced the new hose in case that was the issue. Still no improvement. Next we paid $1000 for a new genuine Ford (according to him) pump and reservoir. Still no improvement. Mechanic said the paperwork with the pump indicated a 300 mile break in period and the whine should go away (not his exact words). So my question is, the car power steering never ever made any type of whining noise before the hose was replaced. What else could cause this? Anything I could look for? Sadly I’m losing faith in my mechanic.

• 2 weeks later...