First Service 2008 Ford Edge

msgtia

I took my 08 Limited FWD Edge in for first service with 6,500 miles. Two primary issues, other then getting an oil change was discoloring on the chrome clad wheels and wanted the Sync upgrade. I know the wheels and the Sync upgrade have been major topics on this forum. First the wheels, I had no problem with the Ford dealership replacing all four wheels. I was actually surpised considering they had an Edge on the showroom floor that had the brass discoloring already on the wheels. Anyway, they are on backorder. Dealership told me that there seems to be alot of issues high activity reordering the wheels. On to the Sync upgrade. I took someone's advice from this forum. To avoid paying for the upgrade, told the dealership that I was having connectivity issues with my MP3 and wanted upgrade to fix problem. I was having issues and getting an error message 'Program Content Error' on some of the songs. Long story short, uploaded upgrade, did diagnostics and found the internal USB cable to be defective and did not charge me for the upgrade.

Question. Has anyone tried swapping the chrome clad wheels for some other wheel through their Ford Dealership, offering to pay any price difference? With the new wheels coming out for the 2009 Edge, just curious if that made any sense.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of members were able to make a swap 18's with their dealers, although generally not.

The window stickers from the factory list the vehicle specs, and dealers may not want to explain why the car isn't eqipped as spec'd if the wheels are different.

If you are willing to pay an extra few bucks, get aftermarket wheels with the stock tires. There's a bigger selection, and cheaper than buying a full wheel/tire set. Then upgrade the tires when they're worn out.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp...autoModClar=FWD

Don't forget theTPMS strap kits!

I took my 08 Limited FWD Edge in for first service with 6,500 miles. Two primary issues, other then getting an oil change was discoloring on the chrome clad wheels and wanted the Sync upgrade. I know the wheels and the Sync upgrade have been major topics on this forum. First the wheels, I had no problem with the Ford dealership replacing all four wheels. I was actually surpised considering they had an Edge on the showroom floor that had the brass discoloring already on the wheels. Anyway, they are on backorder. Dealership told me that there seems to be alot of issues high activity reordering the wheels. On to the Sync upgrade. I took someone's advice from this forum. To avoid paying for the upgrade, told the dealership that I was having connectivity issues with my MP3 and wanted upgrade to fix problem. I was having issues and getting an error message 'Program Content Error' on some of the songs. Long story short, uploaded upgrade, did diagnostics and found the internal USB cable to be defective and did not charge me for the upgrade.

Question. Has anyone tried swapping the chrome clad wheels for some other wheel through their Ford Dealership, offering to pay any price difference? With the new wheels coming out for the 2009 Edge, just curious if that made any sense.

Hi msgtia. :D Concerning the wheels, it never hurts to ask the Dealer if they will do it. However, those people who were successful in getting their Dealer to agree to swap wheels, generally made the agreement before they purchased their vehicles. Then the Dealer swapped the wheels before the car was ever driven off the lot. Not after they had been purchased and been driving for a while.

It is hard to explain, but the way the Warranty System works, the Dealer will need to replace your defective wheels with the same wheel style, or they will not be reimbursed by Ford. Unless the Dealer is willing to work around that hurdle, it is doubtful that they will take a loss on the wheels, since the ones you have are defective (and used) and can not be put on another vehicle.

There are ways to do it, but the question is whether the Dealer will be willing to go through the trouble for a sale they already made.

However, like I already said, it can not hurt to ask.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Sorry I did not immediately notice that you asked this question nearly a month ago. I assume you already know the answer to your question, for better or worse.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi msgtia. :D Concerning the wheels, it never hurts to ask the Dealer if they will do it. However, those people who were successful in getting their Dealer to agree to swap wheels, generally made the agreement before they purchased their vehicles. Then the Dealer swapped the wheels before the car was ever driven off the lot. Not after they had been purchased and been driving for a while.

It is hard to explain, but the way the Warranty System works, the Dealer will need to replace your defective wheels with the same wheel style, or they will not be reimbursed by Ford. Unless the Dealer is willing to work around that hurdle, it is doubtful that they will take a loss on the wheels, since the ones you have are defective (and used) and can not be put on another vehicle.

There are ways to do it, but the question is whether the Dealer will be willing to go through the trouble for a sale they already made.

However, like I already said, it can not hurt to ask.

Good luck. :beerchug:

PS - Sorry I did not immediately notice that you asked this question nearly a month ago. I assume you already know the answer to your question, for better or worse.

[/quote

Thanks for the response. You're right on with the warranty issue thought. I did ask and they said that due to warranty issues, they can only replace with same wheels. I thought I would give it a shot. Looking at after market wheels now.