2016 Sport Front Suspension Noise

shumax

Our 2016 Sport has 31,500 miles on it.  At slower, parking lot speeds, there is something loose in the front end, down low.  Sort of a clunking noise as you go over uneven pavement at lower speeds, especially - 10-20mph.  Just doesn't feel "tight" if that makes sense?  I've been down this path before and it was sway bar links.  I checked those out and they seem tight on both sides.  So do the tie rod ends.  I looked at the control arm bushings and they appear good, too.  Hard for me to believe something is "worn" with that few miles.  Would be more like a failure than being worn out.  

I do have the Premium Care Extended Warranty from Ford.  I'm not sure if suspension components are covered - need to read into that.  Anyone know?

Has anyone had experience with this issue?

Thank you,

Shumax  

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update....

Took it to the dealer today and the tech road with me and said he heard, and FELT, the noise/condition.  Said he didn't think it was a strut mount; sounded too "low" down to be that.  Thought it could be the steering rack.  I've had two of those replaced on Explorer's before.  $$$.  Thank goodness for the extended warranty.  It goes back in, in a few weeks to let them dig into it.

On my drive there, I also then noticed a humming sound in the front left around 50-60mph.  I could feel some roughness in the steering wheel, too.  Sounds like a wheel bearing, but it didn't change pitch as I rocked the steering wheel back and forth.  Anyone have experience with these on this vintage?  I'll have them look at that, too, while it's in for the suspension noise...

Shumax

• 2 weeks later...

Slow part of the forum here, I guess.  

As an update, this ended up being a loose jam nut on the right front tie rod.  I have no idea how that happened - it was 3 turns loose - yikes!  The dealer tightened it and performed an alignment as it was out quite a bit.  Noise is gone now...!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

You're  lucky thats all it was!  I had a very similar noise on my 016 and multiple dealer visits wouldnt confirm any problem.  It turned out to be a left lower control arm/ball joint that was on the verge of separating with close to 1/4" of lateral movement.  I wound up replacing the control arm myself because of it being out of warranty, even though I complained about it early on.  It wasnt worth the fight.  For what its worth, I reported the problem to the NHTSA for possible recall info.

• Like 1