Front Tag Bracket Removal?

compgburg

Hi everyone. My first post here.

Does anyone know how to remove the Front Tag Bracket off of the front bumper? I live in MD and we are not required to have front tags. The bracket is a bit of an eye sore without the tag so I'd like to remove it if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hi compgburg. :D Usually one of the following methods will work: First, if there is one of those Dealer advertising plates attached to the bracket, unscrew/unbolt it. Once you do that, you should be able to see what type of fasteners are holding the bracket to your bumper.

If they are screws or bolts, simply unscrew/unbolt them and the bracket will come right off.

Sometimes, the bracket is riveted on. If that is the case, you can use a small drill bit to drill out the middle of the rivet. This will loosen or break the rivet and release the bracket. Or, some people prefer to use a "Dremel" type tool to cut off/grind down the head of the rivet, releasing the bracket.

I prefer the drill method, but you should use whichever method you are comfortable with.

Of course, according to how may fasteners the Dealer used (it is usually two) you will be left with two or more holes in your bumper cover . You can then purchase either push-pin type fasteners to fill and cover the holes, or screw caps. Pick up a small tube of touch-up paint from your Ford Dealer and paint the push-pins or screw caps to match your car, and your bumper will look great. If you use push-pins, just paint them and insert them into the holes. If you use screw caps, paint them and install them over screws that you insert in the holes.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thank you for the quick response. I'll give it a go.

Hi compgburg. :D Usually one of the following methods will work: First, if there is one of those Dealer advertising plates attached to the bracket, unscrew/unbolt it. Once you do that, you should be able to see what type of fasteners are holding the bracket to your bumper.

If they are screws or bolts, simply unscrew/unbolt them and the bracket will come right off.

Sometimes, the bracket is riveted on. If that is the case, you can use a small drill bit to drill out the middle of the rivet. This will loosen or break the rivet and release the bracket. Or, some people prefer to use a "Dremel" type tool to cut off/grind down the head of the rivet, releasing the bracket.

I prefer the drill method, but you should use whichever method you are comfortable with.

Of course, according to how may fasteners the Dealer used (it is usually two) you will be left with two or more holes in your bumper cover . You can then purchase either push-pin type fasteners to fill and cover the holes, or screw caps. Pick up a small tube of touch-up paint from your Ford Dealer and paint the push-pins or screw caps to match your car, and your bumper will look great. If you use push-pins, just paint them and insert them into the holes. If you use screw caps, paint them and install them over screws that you insert in the holes.

Good luck. :beerchug: