18" Chrome Clad Rims - New Part Number

IZZYAZ

So last spring with almost every other Edge owner in the snow belt, I noticed the rims where peeling around the lips. So the next service I mentioned it to the service guy. He said he was aware of the problem and would replace the rims for me, but they where the same part number as the ones I already had. So he couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't do it again. He also told me that he had been in contact with Ford about the problem and told him they where working on a solution.

Now skip ahead 8 months. I took the Edge in for service this morning. Being the pain-in-the-@ss that I am, I asked about the rims (again). He told me that Ford has released a new part number for the rim. He told me there has been no mention of the fix from corporate, but since there is a new part number on the rim he is lead to believe that they have fixed the clear coat problem on the rims. He said he would order the rims for me today and get them on this afternoon. I told that would be great, but hold off until this spring when I am in the clear for salt and road grime that caused the problem in the first place.

So in summary, they have a new part number on the rims. So they should have fixed the problem with the old design, but can't be 100% positive yet since Ford hasn't announced it.