2012 Ford Edge front end mystery noise

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what this intermittent mystery noise is coming from the front end of my 2012 Ford Edge with 100,000 miles. It only happens when going over large bumps (speed bumps/driveway curbs) and it doesn't do it most of the time. It seems to consistently do it first thing in the morning when backing out of the driveway, although today it didn't do it. It's like a loud clunking metal on metal noise as heard from the outside, it's a bit more muted hearing it inside the car. I thought it only occurred when cold but have also heard it after driving for a while. I've had it in the shop, they couldn't reproduce the noise, they ended up replacing the struts (just struts not full assembly) and that didn't fix it at all. They have inspected all the obvious parts (sway bar links/bushings/ball joints) and cannot see anything obvious worn/wrong and since they are having trouble reproducing it they have nothing to fix.

I've read through every thread/website I could find, they mostly say bad sway bar links but that doesn't appear to be the cause here. When the noise occurs it's really obvious/loud, sounds like a horrible metal on metal sound like something is very loose but there is nothing obvious causing it. Anybody else ever experience this or have any suggestions. I did record two videos of the noise occurring, video 1 and video 2.

Thanks!

They must really be bad if their making that much noise. Usually you get a "clunk" when (only) turning where the spring jumps from position to position instead of rotating smoothly with the strut mount. Kind of like creak, creak, thump type of sound. Yours made noise when going straight ahead or back. Sounds strange, but what the hay.

And I agree, its somewhat automatic that you replace the strut mount anytime you replace the struts. 

• Like 1