2010 Edge Upgrade to in-dash screen from standard radio

Hello All.

Nice to find this group - We have a 2010 Edge owned since new and in very good condition.  I would like to update the green 2-line LED radio display to a modern touch screen system.  I came across a link to Crutchfield in another thread and it seems like they offer a variety of options.
What should I expect by going this route?  I get that I will lose the CD player, although we have not used it much at any rate, and today everything is digital content anyway.  there is a lot of variability in cost from $300-$1,200 of the models.  If I want to retain Sync it appears that I will need to go with one of the more expensive units at $900 and above.
I would appreciate any input or feedback on doing this type of upgrade.  Has anyone done this with success?  Are there pitfalls to watch for?  Any Sync version limits or challenges to be aware of?
Thanks in advance.
This is the search filter I ran on Crutchfield:  https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/Group/HomeRecommenderMenu.aspx?ids=162|86|179&asids=&g=473950&vehicleid=24199&fa=1#&avf=Y&nvpair=AG_Bluetooth_Features|FFExternal_Microphone&nvpair=AG_Bluetooth_Features|FFHands_Free_Calling&nvpair=FFNavigation|Navigation (phone required)