Cable Tire Chains -- Beware!

bsprague

Last year I bought "Security Chain Super Z6, SZ429" cable chains from Amazon in case they were required by either me or the troopers.

I tested them for size but did not try driving on them.

We had some snow and ice this week in the Seattle-Tacoma area so it was time for a test drive.

I was not sure if they would be best on the back or front. The owners manual says nothing except to not use chains on anything but the standard size tires. Thinking that stopping control would be better if they were on the back, I tried that first. DON'T DO IT. The inside cable won't clear the lower shock bracket. I can't see were any chains would fit in back.

On the other hand, there is lots of clearance on the front. I drove about 5 miles, including some lock to lock turns and found no problems. I tried a 25 mph panic stop on ice and the car's computers took over and we stopped in a straight line.

The automatic traction system is a good one, but if you are ever forced to put on tire chains get "S" class cables and only put them on the front. 30 mph is stated as the max by Security.

Last year I bought "Security Chain Super Z6, SZ429" cable chains from Amazon in case they were required by either me or the troopers.

I tested them for size but did not try driving on them.

We had some snow and ice this week in the Seattle-Tacoma area so it was time for a test drive.

I was not sure if they would be best on the back or front. The owners manual says nothing except to not use chains on anything but the standard size tires. Thinking that stopping control would be better if they were on the back, I tried that first. DON'T DO IT. The inside cable won't clear the lower shock bracket. I can't see were any chains would fit in back.

On the other hand, there is lots of clearance on the front. I drove about 5 miles, including some lock to lock turns and found no problems. I tried a 25 mph panic stop on ice and the car's computers took over and we stopped in a straight line.

The automatic traction system is a good one, but if you are ever forced to put on tire chains get "S" class cables and only put them on the front. 30 mph is stated as the max by Security.

When the manual says "standard size" they're talking about the 17" tires, not the optional 18" or 20" tires. Which do you have?

I found that out when I test fitted the chain when I got them. I put them on the back while in the garage. I notice that they will not fit. I check out the front and it looked fine.

We have had snow and ice here for the last week. We have 17 inch Michelin ICE-X tire for our winter tires. This car handles awesome in the ice and snow. I have played with it on the snow and ice. This car just wants to go. You have to work very hard to get the traction control light to come on.

Are they really needed on the AWD?

Probably not. But old habits die hard!

I've been driving in the Pacific Northwest longer than than the average age of the Edge target market! And that includes a lot of ski trips.

Washington State has "carry chains" laws for driving the mountain passes. I don't know of anybody that ever got a ticket for not having them. The idea is to be prepared. The Troupers can require you to stop and put on chains. Usually it is a "winter tires" or chains requirement.

Conditions I've seen where they were necessary involved rapidly melting road ice or rain on existing ice. Picture a slightly sloping parking lot at a ski area where it has become a sheet of ice after all the cars were parked closely together. Then it starts to rain or melt.

If the snow, compact snow or ice remain cold any FWD or AWD vehicle will have the traction to go. The problem is that many drivers forget that it is more about stopping. The Edge does that well too!

The Washington State Patrol does give tickets if the "chains required" sign is up and you don't have chains that fit. My sister got one. The chains didn't fit. The spend 30 minutes trying to get them on and weren't able to. They sent her back down the pass. I carry chain when I am in the mountains, they are cheeper that a ticket. I also verify they fit when I get them.

I have also seen WSP turn cars around at the bottom of the Crystal Mountain ski area access road if cars don't have the proper snow tires or chain on when the turn up road.

I have also got stuck twice in a 4X4 where I had to put chains on to get out. The worst case was when it rain on 6 inches of fresh snow. Pulled in to the parking lot and as soon as I got the car parked it drop about 6 inches through the ice crust. Spent the next hour digging trying to get the car unstuck. Finally gave up an put chains on and drove it out. Moral of story: Just because you drive a 4X4 or AWD don't be too proud to put chains on. I could have been in a nice warm lodge instead of digging in freezing weather. :)