2019 Ford Edge 8F35 Transmission Question

Nooch

I have drained and changed the transmission fluid in this vehicle and Ford obviously wants to do this work themselves as they made it extremely hard to do yourself. My question is, does anybody know what the purpose of the restrictor in the fill/vent cap is. My first impression is that it controls splash/spill over from the tranny. Has anyone tried to remove this piece of plastic? Adding fluid would be a lot easier if it wasn't there.

Edited by Nooch

• 1 month later...

The transmission vent cap should say something like "GORE" on it, and if that is the case, then the piece of plastic inside is actually called "Gore-Tex" - it prevents water from passing while allowing airflow. The same material is used in some winter clothing so it doesn't become soaked and un-breathable. It's used in breather caps to keep water out, but allow air to pass slowly.

I previously worked for a company that made the Ford AVAS sounders for some PHEV vehicles, and a small circle of Gore-Tex was used over a breather opening in those housings to prevent them from developing air pressure differentials inside due to temperature.

Edited by AcousticTheory