Brake grind noise

24Bob

I have a 2013 Edge Sel AWD w/6cyl.

I have a brake grinding noise when applying the brakes. I disassembled and checked all 4 brake assemblies and they are fine as far as pad wear. They are still almost new because I did the new pads about a year ago. I did find that the left rear rotor was very rusty on the inner portion of the rotor but everything else looked fine. I also found that the left front sway bar link was broken. I replaced the link thinking this could have possibly caused this noise, it did not. But it did take away some shaking I had in the steering wheel when braking very hard. The brake grinding noise is still there and seems to get a bit worse each time that I drive it. I do not drive far very often. Mostly less than 10 miles each time. It has 98,000 miles on it it if this helps with a diagnosis. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you check the lube on the pins? Lack of lube can cause the caliper to seize and contact the rotor.

When you did the new pads, did you use Motorcraft or another quality pad, or the cheap stuff? Cheap pads can have metal fillers that show up with age. (And cause grinding even though there's sufficient thickness). 

Edited by enigma-2

Wheel bearings can cause grinding.

Wife's Sebring Convertible had a bearing that grew louder over time. Dull, grinding. Local Chrysler dealer replaced with aftermarket and it only lasted two years before needing replacement. When I took it back for replacment, I insisted on Mopar bearing. They argued with me. Finally told them if they wouldn't use Mopar I'll go somewhere else. So they agreed. But I made them put on work order that I was to be allowed to see the replacement bearing before assembly.  Again they argued. And again I made them agree (or lose the job). (NAPA parts have a better markup and profit). So far the Mopar bearing has lasted 5 years without problems. If you replace the wheel bearing, use Motorcraft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1